Prettier button?

Hi!

I’m trying to make the buttons on my app look a bit better. In Chrome they look kinda OK but on Firefox they look like I’ve been coding on Java. I played with web styles until my head hurted but I can´t manage to make a decent looking button style. CSS maybe?

Hector,
WebStyles should give you plenty of flexibility in style. If that’s not enough you can use CSS in the App.HTMLHeader property.

If that’s not what you’re after, I offer GraffitiWebButton, which uses the Material UI.

I’m not going to reinvent the wheel. I had been tempted by Graffiti suite for a while now I guess it’s time to show you the money LOL.

[quote=476865:@Hector Marroquin]Hi!

I’m trying to make the buttons on my app look a bit better. In Chrome they look kinda OK but on Firefox they look like I’ve been coding on Java. I played with web styles until my head hurted but I can´t manage to make a decent looking button style. CSS maybe?[/quote]
We’ll be showing off the new Web Framework at XDC next month which has a modern look and feel and all new controls followed by a hands-on session where you’ll get to run it right on your own laptop! Come see us in Nashville to check it out.

I’d love to be in Nashville, but I can’t.
I think a lot of other people share this thought.
I think Xojo Inc. should allow the participation also via the internet.

i wish the new Web Framework comes soon.
the current preview in design and at runtime in Firefox is complete different or wrong.
and that is not the only problem that web 1.0 make.

It’s great that you’re doing that Greg but without an announced release date developers can’t decide whether to wait for 2.0 or go in a different direction.

Even a rough idea like spring, fall etc would help massively.

[quote=476865:@Hector Marroquin]Hi!

I’m trying to make the buttons on my app look a bit better. In Chrome they look kinda OK but on Firefox they look like I’ve been coding on Java. I played with web styles until my head hurted but I can´t manage to make a decent looking button style. CSS maybe?[/quote]

Anthony suggested the use of webstyles and I second that. I have been using that method for buttons in my demo for RubberViewsWE.

The most picky environment I found is Android. To make sure it honors the background color, create a gradient, with the same color on both ends.

+1

If you are serious about delivering, you can’t count on a not yet released development tool. Even if Xojo provided a release date, it would not be wise to promise your customers anything purely based on previews.

Better go for tried and true now, and eventually sell a new release when Web 2.00 is ironed out, stable, and bullet proof.

[quote=476905:@Michel Bujardet]
If you are serious about delivering, you can’t count on a not yet released development tool. Even if Xojo provided a release date, it would not be wise to promise your customers anything purely based on previews.

Better go for tried and true now, and eventually sell a new release when Web 2.00 is ironed out, stable, and bullet proof.[/quote]

Sorry but I have to disagree. It’s not a one size fits all situation. You don’t know my thought process or decision making.

I don’t HAVE any customers so I’ve not promised anything to anyone.

I have a plan with a roadmap and as the 2.0 framework is being talked about then deciding on using it vs buying into a third party solution is absolutely relevant to me.

As someone from Xojo themselves has suggested 2.0 as a solution to this forum post I think it’s fairly safe to say it’s “in play”

Let’s try to get back on topic. Hector has asked for help with improving the appearance of Web 1.0 buttons.

I started trying to help Hector indeed.

Unfortunately, someone hijacked the thread :confused:

Let us keep to button design.

I’m trying to go to XDC. Really excited to see Web 2.0 in action and be able to meet you guys in person.
But in the meantime I need to get this buttons and the rest of the stuff looking less ugly on firefox :slight_smile:

[quote=476924:@Michel Bujardet]I started trying to help Hector indeed.

Unfortunately, someone hijacked the thread :confused:

Let us keep to button design.[/quote]

Yes please help me :slight_smile:

Thanks for your input Michel. I have tried all combinations I can think of in the web styles but everything still looks ugly on Firefox. The buttons annoy me but the popup menu breaks my heart, in most instances I can’t even click the drop down selector and have to click “inside” the control to have the list displayed.

I haven’t noticed the ugliness of the app running on Firefox since I had been testing using Chrome, Safari and Edge.

I have an issue with Chrome attempting to fry my laptop’s CPU on a side note. I’ve searched for solutions but Chrome insists on 200+% CPU usage. (Yes I’m hijacking my own thread LOL)

Back on topic:

I tried setting the border property to none but that had no effect

What happens if you try:

.button_green { border: 0px !important; }

[quote=476969:@Anthony Cyphers]What happens if you try:

.button_green { border: 0px !important; }[/quote]

!important! I forgot about that

But still no go :frowning:

I’m getting the GraffitiSuite. I don’t have time or energy to fight this kind of things. As excited as I am about Web 2.0 I need something working now, and for the next 6 months before I get my hands on web 2.0 (crossing fingers).

Great job on the Suite by the way! I’ll get it later today as I have this habit of dealing with prettyfing stuff at night and working on the logic during the day.

[quote=476968:@Hector Marroquin]I tried setting the border property to none but that had no effect

.button_green{
border : none;
}[/quote]

Hector,

Why do you try to set CSS the hard way ?

Insert menu/WebStyle
You can call that green_button in the inspector

Add property, top border, left border, right border, bottom border, all set size 0px.

Then in the button inspector, set the WebStyle to green_button.

That is what Antony and I suggested.

[quote]
Hector,

Why do you try to set CSS the hard way ?[/quote]

Have you been talking with my ex-wife? LOL

I guess Anthony and You were right Michel. I was over complicating things. NOW it’s working.

Any ideas how to make the popup menu less ugly? :slight_smile:

I’m still getting the GraffitieSuite for the rest of the things I need, though

The built-in popupmenu is a bit of mess, style-wise. If you’re getting GraffitiSuite anyway, take a look at GraffitiWebPopupMenu.

I did last night, along with the rest of the suite. I also read the documentation a bit. My blood pressure rose when I first glanced at the CDN section (I don’t want to mess with that), then it came back to normal when I read the rest of the section.