PowerBook G4, 12", Leopard

I finally took my old PB off the shelf, to try to get it started. The computer was making tricks a few years back in time.
I thought it was the HD and I got a new one, installed it and then, couldn’t get the CD out of the slot to continue…

However, today the CD could be ejected and it was possible to format and install Leopard. I just did.
The, the computer need to reboot and now… here we are!

The Leopard CD is still in the slot and after loading, the screen becomes completely black and some music are playing…
Or, not all black. Maybe 0.0001% of light so, when looking REALLY close you can actually see a welcome message and some kind of error message showing on the screen.

There is nothing wrong with the screen. I just installed the OS and during reboot, the screen works.
In older Macs it was easy to get the CD out of the slot with a thin metal paper clip. I know, there are some command to get the CD out during start. What’s that?
Any other suggestions…?

I don’t think the HD was broken. I think the CD was the problem. So… even with the new HD, the CD is still the problem! :slight_smile:

Hold the space bar during reboot (not 100% sure about that one)

Alternatively connect a mouse and hold the button pressed down during reboot (that’s how I usually get them out if they are difficult).

option key (alt) will show the selector for boot volume.

Thank you for these things!

The computer now works fine, with the help of a low budget PC mouse.

http://osxdaily.com/2010/04/08/eject-a-stuck-dvd-from-your-macbook/
However, after trying to insert a business card suggested on this page, the CD doesn’t show at all…

I’ve also shaked the computer like a mad man, as suggested. Maybe it’s also part of the problem…!?

This is so strange… The computer has Bloototh and FireWire but seem not to have WiFi!
Wireless network!

But at the other hand, maybe wireless was not that common, 13 years ago!? I got it in 2003.
Or, is this a software issue…?

[quote=167680:@Jakob Krabbe]This is so strange… The computer has Bloototh and FireWire but seem not to have WiFi!
Wireless network!

But at the other hand, maybe wireless was not that common, 13 years ago!? I got it in 2003.
Or, is this a software issue…?[/quote]

The WiFi was optional, with a slot for a card. See specs at http://support.apple.com/kb/SP59

With the PB being that old I am sure it did not come with WiFi built in. My mid 2009 Mac Pro does not have WiFi built in while my Mid 2010 Mac Pro does so for the Mac Pros it appears that it was 2010 when they started adding WiFi.

For Mac Pro it was optional as Mac Pros are usually moving multi-gigabyte files, so WiFi was pretty pointless and Gigabit Ethernet was “it”.

[quote=167680:@Jakob Krabbe]But at the other hand, maybe wireless was not that common, 13 years ago!? I got it in 2003.
Or, is this a software issue…?[/quote]
Depends on the model:

Wi-Fi Optional (867 MHz) or Built-in (1.0 GHz) AirPort card (802.11b)

Wi-Fi Optional (1.0 GHz) or Built-in (1.25 GHz) AirPort Extreme

In general the top model had WiFi.

What version of REALbasic will run on Leopard ?

I don’t know, Emelie!
Likely a version as I’m not interested in using! :slight_smile:

“It’s easy when you know how!”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUqfS_ACuPI

I used a knife with the rounded end…

So much fuzz for getting the cd out! I bought a new drive, partly damaged the computer because the inside is not easy to reach without breaking the outside… and all that was needed was a knife! I think the plastic knife would do the work as well.

I don’t know what to use this computer for. Maybe my compiled software will run…? Or, I buy the new OS to install. If it will fit…? Maybe it’s not compatible?

Oh, well! Time will tell! I shall visit my Second Life and get the keyboard at least. Maybe I own a Mac mouse. My Second Life contains many secrets… that’s for sure! :slight_smile:

Thanks for assistance in the WiFi issue!

[quote=167715:@Jakob Krabbe]I don’t know, Emelie!
Likely a version as I’m not interested in using! :slight_smile:

“It’s easy when you know how!”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUqfS_ACuPI

I used a knife with the rounded end…

So much fuzz for getting the cd out! I bought a new drive, partly damaged the computer because the inside is not easy to reach without breaking the outside… and all that was needed was a knife! I think the plastic knife would do the work as well.

I don’t know what to use this computer for. Maybe my compiled software will run…? Or, I buy the new OS to install. If it will fit…? Maybe it’s not compatible?

Oh, well! Time will tell! I shall visit my Second Life and get the keyboard at least. Maybe I own a Mac mouse. My Second Life contains many secrets… that’s for sure! :slight_smile:

Thanks for assistance in the WiFi issue![/quote]

My 2007 Intel Mac Book had WiFi built in. I don’t know why it was not the case for the G4 MBP.

You may want to consider a Wifi USB Stick, such as http://www.amazon.com/Panda-300Mbps-Wireless-N-Adapter-button/dp/B00EQT0YK2/ref=pd_cp_e_0

To eject the CD, it should work by holding the eject key (top right corner, right to F12) while booting.

My 2002 iBook had a WiFi Card.

But I do not recall if it as by default / a special purpose or if I asked to get it embedded by the local shop vendor… 13 years ago. I do not recall what I got at breakfast, so 15 years ago: you keep dreaming ! ;-:slight_smile:

I know exactly what I had for breakfast 15 years ago. Coffee.

Ha!! Silly me!
I never thought of a USB stick! (My first thought was a PCMCIA card…!)

Of-course! Thank you!
http://www.elgiganten.se/product/datorer-tillbehor/router-och-natverk/DWA121/d-link-n-150-usb-wi-fi-adapter-dwa-121-svart

I think this little adapter will do the work. Well, there is only one way to find out! :slight_smile:
How about software!?

I have only mobile access to Internet, but I have a router with TP connector… so, the actually access can be solved.
The Leopard is 10.5, the numeric value on the box. I think the computer has one 3.0 and one 2.0 USB socket. (It is my impression)
Also, I’d like to have both keyboard and the mouse, but there is a socket on the keyboard. (As far as I remember, there should be!)

Sorry, but that’s impossible.
In the G4 days USB 3.0 didn’t exist (since 2008) and it took a long time before Apple started to add USB 3.0 ports on their computers.
The ports on your PowerBook must be USB 2.0.

Ah! Of-course!
No, excuse me! I mean 1.0 and 2.0! :slight_smile:

[quote]Expansion

One FireWire 400 port at up to 400 Mbps6
Two 12-Mbps USB 1.1 ports

[/quote]

OK… maybe that was another computer!? I think we will never know…!

Sigh. Jakob, go to the apple in the top left and click on “about this Mac”, then on “System Profile” or “more info” (depending on what you have) and all the information is there.

Then let us know what model you actually have so that this pointless guessing game can stop.

My guess is you have a 1 GHz or earlier Powerbook, which has USB1 which might not provide enough power for the USB2 sticks.

[quote=167728:@Jakob Krabbe]Ha!! Silly me!
I never thought of a USB stick! (My first thought was a PCMCIA card…!)

Of-course! Thank you!
http://www.elgiganten.se/product/datorer-tillbehor/router-och-natverk/DWA121/d-link-n-150-usb-wi-fi-adapter-dwa-121-svart

I think this little adapter will do the work. Well, there is only one way to find out! :slight_smile:
How about software!?

I have only mobile access to Internet, but I have a router with TP connector… so, the actually access can be solved.
The Leopard is 10.5, the numeric value on the box. I think the computer has one 3.0 and one 2.0 USB socket. (It is my impression)
Also, I’d like to have both keyboard and the mouse, but there is a socket on the keyboard. (As far as I remember, there should be!)[/quote]

The link I posted is mentioning explicitly Mac OS X starting at version 10.4 up to 10.8.

I have been to DLink support page for the adapter you posted http://support.dlink.com/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DWA-121 and downloaded the user manual. Absolutely no mention of Mac OS X. A quick look on the Internet show several people asking in forums how to use it with Mac and receive absolutely no reply.

If it was for me, I would not buy any product that does not seem to know about Mac OS X at all. The site you linked to finds nothing for “Mac OS X WiFi USB” and lists only the Airport Extreme router. That is not a good sign.

You may want to look for a supplier who specializes in Apple products, or make sure the stick does indeed support Mac G4 before buying.

“About this Mac” says 1 GHz PowerPC G4, 768 MB DDR SDRAM.

Excuse me! This is really off topic! On only in this thread but as well in my life!

http://www.amazon.com/Panda-300Mbps-Wireless-N-Adapter-button/dp/B00EQT0YK2/ref=pd_cp_e_0
Thank you for this link! It’s a good price.
Why would a person buy all three together in the bottom?

The link as I posted earlier is to a web store, indeed, but they also have IRL stores, quite close to where I live and at location I can ask the sales person.

However, it was shipped with Panther 10.3. The Leopard is a later investment… (Thank you, Jakob!)
The internal battery is all empty! The clock is already reset after only some 30 hours without power…!
But I think, when I get the WiFi connector, it can connect to Internet and get the time from Internet.