Please bring "See also" to developer.xojo.com

Do you have a bad day or what?

I’ve got nothing against anyone here but WTF…

It’s there in black and white, Is this national selective reading day, or picking on the unverified guy day? You choose.

Bob asks an off topic question and you have a go at someone else for answering?

And to top it all off, people “like” the statement where you have a go at Eli!!!

IMHO :wink: or not, an apology to Eli is in order there, that’s just not cricket, if Bob wants feedback about website usage, make another thread, have a go at the person who posts off thread, not the person that answers…

Sorry for the rant, this stuff gets on my nerves.

IMHO Eli may be trying to help by describing how to use Google (thank you), but that does not advance the topic.

What is of interest is to extend the horizontality of access in the new LR. Right now, it is pretty much unusable if you have no idea of the vocabulary. It seems evident for a long term user, it is a pure puzzle for a beginner.

My own example with SelectColor is emblematic. I have used it time and again in the 25+ years I have been developing in Xojo. Yet, for some reason, it eluded me. The new LR did not help at all.

In all logic, it looks as the old LR will sooner or later be deprecated and closed. We might as well try to have developer.xojo.com become the best it can be, before good old documentation.xojo.com disappears.

The new LR lists “SelectColor” under “Related” on the page for “Color”.

These are the first entries when you type “color” in the search field of the new LR:

Color Colors System Default Colors Webinar: All About Data Types 2016r4 Release Notes Literals 2015r2.1 Release Notes 2015r2.2 Release Notes iOSOval Iterable Web Styles Ptr iOSButton iOSRectangle Library and Inspector Advanced Language Features ByVal ...
SelectColor is not returned at all by this search!

These are the first entries when searching with site:developer.xojo.com “color”:

Color Colors FillColor RGB TextColor CMY iOSButton iOSGraphics Literals SelectColor <––– ...

I noticed this too.

I can use either docs just as well, perhaps because in the grand scheme of things I’m relatively new to Xojo so my neurons are a little more flexible.

However typing “color picker” into documentation.xojo.com returns a single page, yet typing “color picker” into developer.xojo.com returns about 50 links, none of which are SelectColor, perhaps that needs addressing.

Now. As the result of the FR. Once again, Eli, you seem to want to stop a potentially useful discussion. Please don’t thwart exchanges. That is not fruitful.

No, I don’t. By the way, the “Related” section has been there since the introduction of the new LR.

OK. I see you are intent on arguing. OK. So Related was there. I did not see SelectColor. Either I am stupid, I need to change glasses, or it was indeed not there. I must inform you is not a personal attack you have to respond to. It is a proposition to better the current tool.

At any rate, and well beyond my own SelectColor anecdote, I am sorry, but I have used so much “See also” in all those years, I feel it is worthwhile to suggest it be moved to the dry and highly arborescent developer.xojo.com.

After all, how would a couple lines at most at the bottom of each page disturb the well being and order of things in the brave new world of Xojo ?

Just as a sanity check Michel, it wasn’t there on Mar 31, 2017 18:08:57 :slight_smile:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://developer.xojo.com/color

IMHO I quite like the new developer site, its pretty slick, but the font size of the right pane is a bit big for my liking.

It’ll take a bit of time to get it right and pad out those “related” sections, I’ll be the first to admit though, I have overlooked information on that Summary table on a few occasions, so maybe something needs tweaking.

Right, that’s what I meant. I think threads go hijacked or side tracked too often, and I find that distracting. I agree, though, that in this case it wasn’t even my own thread, and so I shouldn’t try to police it, and for that I apologize. Though I still like others to respect the need to stay on-topic when commenting on my own threads. And with that, now I’m the one going off-topic. Sorry for that (if anyone likes to discuss this further, please let’s go to the off-topic area).

This is typical of the need to support mobile devices. I had to do the same on my sites, otherwise Google frowns.

Browser/device detection isn’t a thing any more?

GoogleBot is not a browser.

User agent detection?

Indeed, Google has a special mobile bot https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2014/01/a-new-googlebot-user-agent-for-crawling.html

But I guess the complexity of supporting multiple layouts may be a problem.

At any rate, just type Ctrl - and you probably get the ideal font size.