Planned obsolescence in modern tech

Only referred to modern technology, (so ignoring the old light bulbs planned to burnout after 1000hrs), do you think it is real or a myth ?
Especially for cellphones and computers. What are yr thoughts ?

Yes of course there is planned obsolescence with new technology - even more so than there ever was.

The light bulb analogy is a good one - at least you knew where you stood. These days we have “Software” and “Hardware devices” that we simply must upgrade otherwise we can’t even use it anymore and therefore fall behind in our new-found “connected-ness”.

Worse than it ever was, but that is the capitalist system that most of us in the so called “free world” live under. Sometimes it seems like a modern version of slavery. But I do feel lucky compared to other countries - life could be much much worse.

Another old example (after the light bulbs) is the stockings (for women).

Imagine the engineers when their management ask them to create less quality…

More recent was some Epson printers that had a chip that avoid printing more than a fixed number of copies. A russian developer created a piece of software to reset that chip counter.

Other examples:
a. Limit the avalaibility of the spare parts,

b. set the price of the spare parts higher enough…

Yep! I’ve experienced the Epson printer failing but there was still ink in the cartridges.

The point I ask myself is that if light bulbs and Epson printers lasted a long time, then what happens to the people that work in those factories producing them? They would have no job and no money to spend on some other device that will become obsolescent. Such is the web that has been woven.

These days I enjoy looking at old tech, weather it be cars, amplifiers or even kitchen appliances. When you see them, you know they were made with longevity and style being the ultimate purpose.

Samsung is known for putting the most temperature sensitive components into the hottest place in their TVs. I doubt that’s coincidental, so I would say yes.

Apple make almost all their products non upgradeable and no repairable.

printers and their internal counter-to-end-of-life are the next example…

No. The enterprise will manufacture other products (and since a one product company will die very fast… ). And add some mote products until their business plan will work fine.

I will not take the cars example (even if I keep 18 years my previous car and 10 years for the current one).

I had a desktop computer that was almost exactly 5 years old. The screen started to be very dim and flicker, so I replaced the screen. About a week later the computer refused to start (fried mother board?).

Hmmm… that seemed a little suspicious.

Apple has been accused several times of planned obsolescence with the iPod. I have no idea if that was true or not.

Today they don’t need to use a time bomb : all they have to do is to release a new model of phone, and people will flock to buy it.

I would not call that planned obsolescence, I would call that fashion. Nobody would scream because a shoe or a piece of garment becomes obsolete at the end of the season.

For having lived in Cameroon, I know where the once fashionable stuff ends up in big balls : Africa. Now not only ecologists scream because people change phones too often, but they don’t want Africans to get used electronics because they don’t recycle…