Phantom changes in VCP projects

Very often when I save changes to a Xojo project in VCP format there are dozens to hundreds of changes made by the IDE that don’t actually change the behavior of the project or of the IDE (as far as I can tell.) These changes are of the sort where an empty string is changed to an unquoted zero, or numbers changing from scientific notation to long form.

With so many “phantom” changes it becomes difficult of actually use the VCP to track changes to a project:

It’s really ridiculous to make a one- or two- line change to a single method result in dozens of phantom changes to every file in the VCP project.

I’ve filed a bug report (<https://xojo.com/issue/28113> ), and would be interested in hearing any workarounds.

Have a peek at the list you see.

Backcolor is a COLOR - so why was it ever stored as a number (and sometimes you’d have seen them as strings or just hex values)

So that is one we’re fixing on project load because the TYPE of an item is important that it be correct.
The rest are vary similar - they are written assuming a certain type (usually based on whatever value is in a variant) and that makes no sense.
You’ll see things like booleans also sometimes represented as strings or as numbers.

So the changes you’re seeing are the IDE loading your project and, as it does this, making sure the internal type is correct.
And then that gets written out.

We’ve fixed most places where the internal “magic” would do this - but not all - so there are still some ways to get the IDE to do this flip flop.
They should get to be fewer & fewer as we find & fix all the remaining spots.

Andrew,

If I may ask, what site/software are you using for this? Looks similar to GitHub, but just want to be sure. I don’t mean to hijack the thread; however, I’m looking for something for version control. I liked GutHub, but it appears it’s for open projects (I may be wrong, haven’t looked much into it yet).

[quote=19831:@Eric Brown]Andrew,

If I may ask, what site/software are you using for this? Looks similar to GitHub, but just want to be sure. I don’t mean to hijack the thread; however, I’m looking for something for version control. I liked GutHub, but it appears it’s for open projects (I may be wrong, haven’t looked much into it yet).[/quote]
I’m using Github and I like it a lot. They have cheap paid plans for private repositories; I’m paying $12/month for 10 private and unlimited public repos all of which come with integrated issue tracking and a wiki.

See: https://help.github.com/articles/what-plan-should-i-choose

bitbucket allows you to have private repos for free. but the number of people that can see them is very limited unless you pay. I think I can have 5-6 people on a private repo. number from head so it might be off.

sb

The specific changes that you’re seeing are intentional. We are absolutely trying to get the number of “phantom changes” down to zero, but this requires getting existing projects updated to the correct values.

That said, there are other bugs that are still causing “phantom changes” that we haven’t narrowed down yet. One of these is the Scope value changing to a string when it should be an integer.