Passing Xojo console information to an ASP.NET page...

Here’s the dilemma I’m currently facing:

I’m not a professional web developer; however, my brother is very proficient in .NET. Thing is, I don’t know much w/ .NET and he doesn’t know anything about Xojo. I have a Xojo server (console application) that is connected to other external devices via a TCPSocket. He wants to create a web portal that communicates with my server application (located on a remote machine) and control these devices with, from his ASP .NET pages. He asked me about using JSON queries. I’m not familiar with those either (unfortunately). After researching, JSON capabilities in Xojo seem to control the container/structuring of the information… but not handle the transmitting of.

Could I get some insight from somebody who has decent experience in both platforms on suggestions on how to receive & pass information from an ASP.NET application web portal via a remote console application? Do I need to create a custom HTTPSocket class to control JSON queries to and from his application? Can ASP.NET handle session-based TCPSocket communication to my application? I’m clueless, and trying to work this out with him… he’s stuck on JSON (“It’s the industry standard for doing what we’re needing done… figure it out and make it work.”). Thanks…

You could use a serversocket serving tcpsockets or sslsockets so his app can communicate with yours, but you’ll likely also need to create a whole API for that if either of the apps are transmitting over the internet.

Thanks Greg. That’s actually the route I was hoping for and will look into it. The IIS server and the server running my console application will be on a local network, but they’re not on the same physical machine… but none-the-less, if we ever have co-locations it’ll need to be transmitted over the internet, so I’ll create a custom API that suites the security, etc. accordingly. Appreciate the insight.