Paris Internet speed - is it ok???

I’m planning on spending time in Paris but am worried I cant run my business and servers while Im away.
I have no experience of how good Internet access and speed is in Paris

obviously this is more about xojo developers helping me with their experiences of paris than coding.

I intend to rent an apartment for 4 weeks and must be able to remotely control my PCs at office or home in christchurch NZ to rdp into secure servers while away.

The big question I have is, will Paris have good internet speeds? especially to get to New Zealand servers?

Any help or thoughts much appreciated
Thanks

[quote=169933:@James Nicholson-Plank]I’m planning on spending time in Paris but am worried I cant run my business and servers while Im away.
I have no experience of how good Internet access and speed is in Paris

obviously this is more about xojo developers helping me with their experiences of paris than coding.

I intend to rent an apartment for 4 weeks and must be able to remotely control my PCs at office or home in christchurch NZ to rdp into secure servers while away.

The big question I have is, will Paris have good internet speeds? especially to get to New Zealand servers?[/quote]

Broadband is pretty decent. When it is available. In rental places it is not always the case, unfortunately. You better check with the landlord.

Otherwise, the 3G and 4G network is rather good. You can get a Sim card and use your smart phone as hot spot.

I have no idea about New Zealand host and email access, but from what I see, .nz servers are just as fast as US ones.

I think you’ll find the speed of light is far too slow to make this work very well :stuck_out_tongue:
That was a complaint of a coworker of mine at one company I used to work for when he went to Germany - Damned speed of light is too slow!

Joking aside you’re probably going to find speeds OK
We dont usually have issues with our video conference with Stephane who is just outside Paris
BUT you may find that outages for routers & backbones interconnects have as much impact as speed does.
Things like http://www.internettrafficreport.com and http://www.akamai.com/html/technology/dataviz1.html
can give you some insight as to what you might experience that is unrelated to “speed”

ADSL is fast in Paris. You can also have cable and fiber optics. But everything depends on the equipment of your apartment. As Michel, check with the landlord.

3G, 4G and 4G + (LTE advanced) are as fast. I recommend “Orange” and “Bouygues Telecom” mobile networks in Paris.

Fon is also quite common in Paris.

hey guys thanks so much for your input.
Always scary and leaving your baby unattended.

Nice to here I should be ok with some planning
Cheers

here you can view where to rent your apartment … and where NOT to rent !
but I aggree with Michel, ask the landlord first about the speed before. it can be ornot equipped with optic fiber.

link text

French internet speed seems to be fine to me, as everytime I play “Call of Duty”, the french have a better connection than everyone else :slight_smile:

Not better than me! erhm…