Parallels Vs Fusion for Mac

I just got a new (to me) iMac so i need to decide what software I want to transfer (if possible) and maybe upgrade or buy another copy for the new machine. This is good time of year to do that with all the sales.

The old Mac (on Mojave) is running Parallels 11 and the current version is 15. Right now I have Win 7 and XP VMs on the old machine and thinking I should have a Win 10 VM…

(But I do have a Win 10n laptop … for awhile it looked like I was going to have to do a lot of coast to coast traveling for work - did it 3 times last year - but could not justify the cost of a good Mac laptop for occasional use)

In general I have liked Parallels, but unlike for V11, the non subscription V15 is relatively crippled only allowing 8GB RAM and 2 cores… I don’t do subscriptions… They are trying to “encourage” getting the subscription version with those limitations - and that bothers me!

So I am considering switching to Fusion… but everything i read says Parallels work better (faster/smoother/convenient) than Fusion… So that gives me pause…

So does anybody here have experience with both? If so what do you think?

The 8 GB 2 core limits are probably OK for testing any Xojo apps I write ( What do people think?)…

On another related question…

I bought a pretty beefy iMac (spent more than I should have even refurb- beefier than the laptop for sure!) and I was thinking if I got Win 10, I might want to set up a reasonable boot camp partition, just in case I ever need to do anything serious in Windows.

I believe both Fusion and Parallels can use the Boot Camp Install… but would that be an issue for Win 10 licensing because the VM cores and RAM would not match the the physical machine? (I would not want to pay for 2 Win 10 licenses fro teh same physical machine!)

if I do a BootCamp Win10 partition, what would be a good partition size?

Thanks,

• karen

Download VMWare and test it. Then you can see if it’s fast enough.

I’ve worked a lot with VMWare in the last weeks. Mostly for checking the translations of my app. For testing VMWare is okay.

In my opinion, windows runs well under VMware
Phil

I do. I have one Windows Key for Parallels and one for BootCamp. You can buy a Windows 10 Key on Amazon for a few dollars (no DVD) and they have worked fine for me. You can download the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft.

I use both, Fusion and Parallels. If I should make a decision I would choose Parallels. Can‘t say that it‘s faster but it feels smoother, UXP ist much better.

I use Fusion and have no complaints. But both my kids, also developers, are big fans of VirtualBox…

[code]if you want something free
use virtualbox
return
end if

if not, you can choose between parallels and fusion

if you have special hardware connected (i.e. not a printer, not a mouse, not a keyboard)
you must use fusion if you want to at least see them.
end if
use parallel.
return
[/code]

Some time ago Bob Keeney switched from Fusion to parallels after I suggested he give it a try for running Windows on his mac
The performance difference was quite noticeable

I use both for testing, and they tend to leapfrog each other with features/performance over the years. I can’t really say one or the other is better at this point - their features and UI are very similar.

Note: both of them default to security settings that are much more permissive than I would like (allowing the VM full access of all drives on your mac, setting up the mac to auto-open some files in Windows when you double click in the Finder, etc). After you create your first VM, I like to go in and turn off almost all of those features for safety.

Bootcamp: both VMWare Fusion and Parallels can use the BootCamp partition as a VM, which is handy for saving drive space. A windows 10 install can just barely squeeze into 32GB but I would recommend 48 or 64GB minimum.

I switched to Parallels after Xojo performance was abysmal in VMWare. I’ve been happy with Parallels since then.

You are the only one that says the one to use does not make much difference!

In any case disk space for BootCamp would not be THAT big a deal for me … The refurb Mac I bought has a 2TB SSD.

But from what David Cox posted it sounds like then I need 2 Win 10 licenses… one for BootCamp and another for the VM. Is the the case?

-Karen

I’ve been using VMWare Fusion for many years but I’ve noticed the performance decline in the last couple of years too. I haven’t switched to Parallels yet, partly because I’m lazy and partly because I’ve always preferred the separation that VMWare has from the rest of my Mac, compared to Parallels.

Like Michael I just close off all the default settings which seem to amount to “Share everything between the VM and Mac”
You can box it right off from the rest of the machine if you want

Are you using the pro (subscription) version or the permanent license? If Permanent do you run into any limitations for testing your Xojo apps?

The subscription and it’s artificial limitations of the non subscription version is why I am considering switching… Fusion does not cripple it’s non-Pro version like Parallels does.

• Karen

[quote=465022:@Norman Palardy]Like Michael I just close off all the default settings which seem to amount to “Share everything between the VM and Mac”
You can box it right off from the rest of the machine if you want[/quote]
Doesn’t it still dump stuff in System Preferences, whether you box it off or not?

Just a set of preferences like any other app as far as I can tell in /Library/Preferences
But then so do some others

[quote=465030:@Norman Palardy]Just a set of preferences like any other app as far as I can tell in /Library/Preferences
But then so do some others[/quote]
It used to shove stuff right into the actual System Preferences app which annoyed my Mac purity OCD. But maybe it behaves now.

A preference pane maybe ?
I’ve been using it for a very long time and dont recall ever seeing one - I do have other apps that do that though
But now they have to ask for permission to do so

I’ve used both Parallels and Fusion over the years. Generally Parallels appears to perform better, but I find Fusion easier in setup and isolation. Currently I’m back on Fusion.

My strategy is to just use VM’s for testing, which is good because you don’t necessarily want high performance during testing to help identify bottlenecks and to visualize how your app feels in a slower rendering environment.

For any Windows development work, I always use boot camp with Windows 10.

I haven’t tried it for a while, but virtualizing your boot camp partition in either product used to be a real pain, as far as licensing goes. Maybe they’ve worked out the bugs of that by now, but I think I like having testing and development separate anyway.

I hope that helps.

[quote=465024:@Karen Atkocius]Are you using the pro (subscription) version or the permanent license? If Permanent do you run into any limitations for testing your Xojo apps?

The subscription and it’s artificial limitations of the non subscription version is why I am considering switching… Fusion does not cripple it’s non-Pro version like Parallels does.[/quote]
I am doing the permanent license. I have not had any issues with testing Xojo apps.