Overlay View

Is there a way in Xojo, via declares of course, to load a view as an overlay view as per this question on SO: How to display a progress indicator overlay/HUD on iPhone?

that one statement is the very reason I have not pursued XOJO iOS… seems 90% of anything you need to do is a Declare, and not part of the basic framework. Declares should be the exception, not the rule

To be fair, such an overlay as well as the ProgressWheel do not require a declare. An iOS Canvas is enough.

That said, pending the arrival of 2014R3 which promises a flurry of new controls according to Geoff"s announcement, current Xojo iOS looks kind of a toy with its limited compliment of controls, as compared to XCode.

Better program directly in Swift than having to use declares for most everything. We are fortunate to have benevolent declare gurus around, and a few third party tools from Dethomsoft and MBS, but this would be unacceptable for Mac OS X.

I assume you mean 2015r3 :slight_smile:

And while SWIFT has its foilbles… everything is case-sensitive, and sometimes whitespace senseitive (“x= 3” and “x =3” is an error, but “x=3” or “x = 3” is fine), and difficult to support SQLite at this time (requires linking ObjC … Opps! kinda like a declare! :slight_smile: )

Of course. That is supposed to be the ‘mature’ version of iOS :wink:

It’s really clunky to use an iOSCanvas for this though Michel. A true overlay view can appear over the top of any view without disrupting the controls underneath while, at the same time, preventing the user from accessing those controls. To do that with an iOSCanvas requires a lot of extra code, customised for each view, and just doesn’t “scale” in a more complex app.

I understand and appreciate your point Dave. But I look at it this way: Xojo’s iOS framework is reasonably new and is a little limited so it either does what you need right now or, if it doesn’t, you should use something else. In my case I have created a fairly complex app that is a mobile client for our (non-Xojo) web app and, while some bits such as access to the camera and MapKit and email required the use of declares - and I am very grateful for the excellent toolkits provided by Jason King and Jean-Paul Devulder, among others - most of my code is just Xojo iOS framework code. My app looks as good as and performs just as well as, or better, than my competitor’s apps which are in Objective-C.

Until Xojo has a reasonable amount of controls, and in such an instance, correct management of views, it will be a glorious pain to really get an app to perform well. I salute your efforts since November or so and am sure you have got good results (in six months), but frankly, between the fragility of declares, and their cumbersome use, this is nowhere near what a standard Mac OS X app would be able to deliver.

In fact, your app may not be in Objective-C, but it probably has such an amount of low level calls to the framework that one could construe it as something else than Xojo.

For myself, I have given up, until that platform gets a reasonable amount of controls to be anything else than a work in progress. Or a declare laboratory.

Not to mention the fact that apparently, the iTunes App Store is a cut throat arena for games, but not a very business oriented venue. As if to purchase a database, a spreadsheet or an accounting program, one would have to go to a toy store. I rather spend more of my energy for more serious outlets.

[quote=190583:@Michel Bujardet]

That said, pending the arrival of 2014R3 which promises a flurry of new controls according to Geoff"s announcement, [/quote]

As far I know only custom cells for iOSTable will be new to 2015r3 - or are other things announced too?

No scrollable views?

OK, back on topic. :slight_smile:

I read too fast the reports from XDC. Geoff had a slide with Container Control, swipe actions, picker, table row reordering, scroll views, pull to refresh, location, maps, accelerometer, custom alert dialogs, but apparently, that is for “the next few releases”. You will need the help of declare gurus for quite a while more. And from that list, no trace of overlay views or Web Edition style dialogs.