OT: Next XDC better outside US?

Just read about considerations by the NSA leader John Kelly that if you apply for a US Visa then you also have to give them the passwords to your social media accounts. And that “if you really want to come here then you will comply”.

Umm, no.

Out of principle, if nothing else.

Just because a mixture of Mr. Burns and Crusty the clown has taken over doesn’t mean we have to obey, but it does raise the question if XDC should not be moved to a less restrictive place. Like Cuba. Or Mexico.

I’m unlikely to join XDC anyway (too expensive for me), but maybe an alternative location wouldn’t be a bad idea.

This so funny and (sadly) true Markus :smiley:

Going to Mexico would be a nice way to protest against this ban.

Please don’t believe everything you read. Or, these days sadly, anything you read.

Well, it is all over the “respectable” news sites, so I doubt it qualifies as “alternative facts”

There is no such thing these days, believe me. AP, Reuters, New York Times, CNN, you name it, they are all unreliable right now. Give every new “outage” six hours, then check for their retraction or clarification into nothing. It’s happening with alarming frequency.

Problem is also that the original reports enter the general psyche and no-one is reading or caring about the retractions.

To clarify, “…from the seven countries in question.”

I really don’t want to get into a political discussion, just pointing out that, if it’s even true and if they pursue this, very few of us, if any, would be affected.

(And if anyone read that as either an endorsement or criticism of anything, you read too much.)

Just read the text of the order which, in section 14 says,
Sec. 14. Privacy Act. Agencies shall, to the extent consistent with applicable law, ensure that their privacy policies exclude persons who are not United States citizens or lawful permanent residents from the protections of the Privacy Act regarding personally identifiable information.

The original Privacy Act did not apply to foreign nationals but in 2007 the DHS issued a policy extending some protections to foreign nationals (see https://www.dhs.gov/publication/privacy-policy-guidance-memorandum-2007-01-regarding-collection-use-retention-and)

Neither of these say what personally identifiable information will or may be collected

What they do say is that any such information will not have to be held private in the same manner as US nationals personally identifiable information

And this provision does not appear to be exclusive to those seven countries

Now, I am confused. Are these facts, or alternate facts? What are facts “anyways” these days? (yes, this is a circular reference to the Pet Peeves thread.)

We are already committed to the next XDC, which will be in Denver. More importantly, we don’t feel like this immigration policy, if it even stands, will have any impact on attendance at our conference.

You guys are all welcome to come to Berlin in about three months :slight_smile:

AFAIK for the moment, ESTA is still applicable for countries with Visa exemption, which is the case for EU countries. Yet, I have to admit the recent developments, and the underlying xenophobia, are very worrying.

As for the password of social media, from what I understand, it is on a voluntary basis. If that was not the case, then it makes America look just as bad as the People’s Republic of China. Pity.

Looking at the reports, this is something they are considering, not currently implemented, and only for the seven countries. I could actually go along with a slightly lesser version where you would be expected to accept (say) a Facebook-friend request or a Twitter follow from the official investigator account. But going in with a password is too much.

If you are indeed from Germany then you don’t need a visa to visit the US. It’s called the visa waiver program if you’re wanting to investigate it further.

Indeed, the program is called ESTA.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html?_flowExecutionKey=_cEC53D3A5-3BF6-80B2-D95C-FD0A10DF4B9C_kBE2C0729-37A8-F65A-DEA2-96A9129547F6

With this, no need for visa, up to three months stay.

Everything is done on the site, and it is very quick.

But don’t let facts get in the way of a drama!

Do you actually understand the legal consequences of entering the US on a visa waiver program??? In the current climate there is simply no way I would be prepared to avail of such a program.

What’s the worst possible legal consequence for a mere visitor from Europe wanting to attend a software conference?

Methinks the news that reaches across the pond may be more sensational than the reality on the ground.

What do you fear ? I have been travelling to the US one year after 9/11 on a visa program. The climate was just as bad and suspicious as now. All I got exposed to was a baggage check by customs upon arrival.

I believe the issue is only for people carrying bad stuff, or who have something on their conscience. Which I cannot believe is your case.