OS X 10.11 El Capitan - quick test

Our app is pretty big, currently built in Xojo 2015 r1, and mostly works fine in the first developer preview.

As a bonus, I was able to upgrade a Parallels Yosemite VM to El Capitan. IIRC, the last two OS X developer previews didn’t run in the contemporary version of Parallels.

The only real problem I’ve discovered so far is that writing to the Contacts app via an MBS plugin is a bit broken, but I haven’t had time to investigate exactly what’s going on there. I read somewhere during the keynote that there’s a new storage model for Contacts in OS X, so I’m guessing it might have something to do with that.

After installation I notice my system is faster compared to Yosemite. Tried a few games and noticed a HUGE difference
in speed and performance.

A couple of programs I own no longer work, but this is expected since it is the first beta.

Looking forward to the release, this could be a real winner for Apple.

A clean install or upgraded from Yose? I ask, because my MBP213 is often “hanging” while accessing the SSD.

This was an upgrade.

I can foresee the new split-view causing lots of problems with software containing non-resizable windows!
If your UI does not fit into a narrow width space - BAM!

Another call for NSLayoutConstraints!

Can someone with El Capitan installed give this a quick try? I’m curious about this.

There is no way it can automatically work as expected - I imagine that only the left 50% of your app will be displayed - resulting in it being unusable.

My apps runs without any problem. Here is a screenshot with two app running on fullscreen and split view. .

Or RubberViews :wink:

OK, call me stupid (I am) but how to get the new split view? :slight_smile:

Horst,
you say your apps run without any problem - but from your screenshot it looks like the left hand app has the text fields and text areas cut short; and the right hand side app seems to have the listbox cut short?

Press the green Fullscreen Button and keep it pressed for a moment longer.

not sure why SPLIT screen on OSX is worthwhile, when you can open, move, place as many windows as you want. Now, the new split screen of iPAD …THAT makes sense

Call it fashion, Windows 10 does split view as well. But in practice, it is nothing much more than two portrait windows half the screen size that each behave as full screen.

What Horst shows is that indeed windows conceived for Landscape reflect not so well in Portrait mode. This calls for Auto Layout, or, and it is not very difficult to do, window switching according to shape. Add to that a good control resize and spread to accommodate different resolutions, and you’re good to go.

I think this is typical of mobile osmosis.The influence of iOS is not limited to the flat look.

I already have split view via 3rd party apps, so nothing for me to get enthused about.

Not sure about your apps but that Caymus Napa Valley Cab sure is nice!

The split view resizes your apps on the half of the screen width. All elements on your application window will be removed or resized, like if you resize the window manually. I was running “El Capitan” in a virtual machine with a small screen resolution. Here is a new screenshot with 1920x1200 pixel.

A greater problem is the system font. It is wider as the current font in 10.10.3. So some text in buttons or other UI elements does not show the complete text.
Example: El Capitan 10.11

Example: 10.10.3

[quote=193091:@Horst Jehle]The split view resizes your apps on the half of the screen width. All elements on your application window will be removed or resized, like if you resize the window manually. I was running “El Capitan” in a virtual machine with a small screen resolution. Here is a new screenshot with 1920x1200 pixel.

A greater problem is the system font. It is wider as the current font in 10.10.3. So some text in buttons or other UI elements does not show the complete text.
Example: El Capitan 10.11

Example: 10.10.3
[/quote]

You may want to check the Arial narrow font for the example you show. It should do the trick in Portrait.

Caused by the separator??