Order control problem

Hi,
I was last on a month or more ago, trying to get an old program (written ~6-7 years ago in RB for the mac) to work on a PC. I got a lot of help, and things were going well…until last night. Our source of possible funding (we are applying for a grant) told us the wrong screen res and things didn’t fit. And of course, they need the fix VERY quickly, or else we are likely to lose out on the grant possibility. (Doesn’t matter they gave us the wrong info.)

Well, my partner in crime and I worked all last evening and I’ve worked all this morning, and it’s ALMOST all there. EXCEPT. I have a number of controls that sit on top of each other, and the ones that are supposed to appear on the very top are not appearing. (They were earlier when they were slid off to the right incorrectly, but now that – I assume – they are in the right place, they do not become visible when they should. Keep in mind when I did this on the mac years ago this was working. Even when I did this on the PC laptop with the wrong screen res, it was working. But now that I am back on a mac (for the day; a problem that isn’t of worry here left me using my mac with the screen res set to their standards), and everything appears to be in place, I can’t get those things (asterisks which are supposed to show up if an incorrect response is made, FWIW) to show up.

And yes, I know about the ordering of controls via those little icons near the middle of the top bar…but it doesn’t seem to do any good, either to move the asterisks to the top or to move the other controls backward. (Those DID help when I ran into a similar problem on the pc laptop, and I got everything working just fine.) I’ve looked in documentation and only found the briefest mention of these commands (order forward, etc.). I’ve tried messing with visibility and transparency to no avail. The whole thing probably could have been designed better way back when, but when it first came up to re-do a couple months ago I didn’t have the time to go back and do things “right” and even moreso today I don’t.

Unlike the issue of the location of files to be opened or written to in debug vs executable, which seems to operate differently on a mac vs on a pc, I cannot fathom why this should operate differently. Plus, it seems I ought to be able to at least get it running on the mac in any case.

I hate to come to you for help on such short notice but that’s what I’ve been given. (And this is unfortunately something that if they had only given us the correct screen res numbers to begin with 2 months ago when I asked for them, I would have had all the time in the world to get this right rather than almost no time at all.)

Is there something I’m missing? Something I should be doing that I can do quickly? (Keeping in mind, again, that I had this working as a mac program years ago, and as a pc program up until a day ago when we suddenly had to change the screen res.) And it’s got to work when we send the source back over to the pc tonight… (again, why should things be different between mac and pc for this, and why can I not get it to work in any case on my mac?)

Thanks again for help on previous issues the last couple months. I hope your great group expertise will come riding to my rescue once again!

yeah you real should not put one control on top of another (it causes flicker on windows) and you can’t really change the front to back ordering at run time

Ok, is there a good alternative? It’s been working until now. (and, who knows, maybe still will on the pc…) I have noticed flicker (only on the pc). was thinking it was because I was refreshing the screen or some such. At least an answer for that.
And for that matter, what is the control order front to back for, then? (just out of curiosity)

I guess it’s not going to let me edit my last response…–but it will let me edit this one. odd.

What if you have text you want to lay on top of some other thing? (which is basically what I’m doing, except I only want it to occur when other particular things occur, and then only for a short time)

Also, sorry I was unclear, I’m not trying to change the order of how these things lie on each other at run time. I want to layer them at development time, but have some only flash into visibility for a short time. And of course, I’d like those to be visible rather than hidden by other items. Hence using “order forward” “order front” and “order backward”, which are not giving the desired outcome.

[quote=66183:@Carolyn Buck-Gengler]
Also, sorry I was unclear, I’m not trying to change the order of how these things lie on each other at run time. I want to layer them at development time, but have some only flash into visibility for a short time. And of course, I’d like those to be visible rather than hidden by other items. Hence using “order forward” “order front” and “order backward”, which are not giving the desired outcome.[/quote]
Putting one control on top of another is a sure fire way to cause Windows apps to flicker like crazy.
Order forward & order backward are design time only so you can move one control to be “on top of” another - but at runtime you will get flickering.
If you only want to show the top most control for a moment then set it’s visible to true and invalidate it.
But be aware this is likely to cause flicker.

I consider myself duly warned about runtime flicker on a PC app :slight_smile:

The problem is getting the thing to be visible in the first place. <-- which still isn’t solved.

As it turns out, I have found a suitable kludge, though it still involves making a control (of the label variety) visible for a short period. For some reason, this newly created label is willing to actually show up for work when I make it visible=true. Is that the real issue here, the order the things are created in? or back to tab ordering?

I can’t see any way of getting around making things be one atop the other in order to carry out the types of events we need to in our programming (cognitive psychology experiments; I never could get the hang of python but had been using RB successfully for years – on a mac). I guess I’ll just have to do any future experiments back on the mac.

Thanks for your time and the warning about the flicker. We’ll have to live with it.

It probably is.

There are 2 possibilities here.

It could be an issue with parenting. Try putting me.parent = nil in the asterisk label’s open event.

Or you might have to remove the old labels and add them back in.

OK, thanks.