Oracle Help

I need some assistance configuring Oracle Express on my system. If someone has some experience setting it up on Windows and then connecting a Xojo apps (Mac/Windows) please let me know. I’m kind of lost and the moment.

I am willing to barter some consulting/training time…

I have it running since about a year. As far as i can remember it was a straight forward installation.
What is your problem, maybe my memory isn’t totally gone.

When I tried it last year, installing Oracle Express was easy enough. But figuring out the proper connection string proved to be a challenge. What ended up working for me is in the Example on the OracleDatabase page in the LR:

https://documentation.xojo.com/index.php/Oracle

I used to use Oracle a lot 10-15 years ago, but most of that knowledge has left me. Frankly, I would think that with proper TNSNAMES.ORA configuration, the Xojo connection string would just be the DB instance name, but I could not get that working.

@Paul Lefebvre
In your explanation you connect with this string:
db.DatabaseName = “(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=10.0.1.14)(PORT=1521))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=XE)))”

This works too:

[code]Dim db As OracleDatabase
db = New OracleDatabase
db.host=“127.0.0.1:1521/XE” //= IP-number of the server + : + Portnumber + / + Databasename

db.username = TextField1.Text
db.password = TextField2.Text
[/code]

The Xojo Oracle plugin doesn’t support db.portnumber and there is more wrong with that plugin.

rs.ColumnType(i) returns -1 for all columns

Fieldschema shows other column names than shown in the docs:

The table in the previous picture was created with this sql-command:

CREATE TABLE "AK"."AUTOOS" ( "ID" NUMBER(10,0) NOT NULL ENABLE, "BRAND" VARCHAR2(50 CHAR) NOT NULL ENABLE, "MODEL" VARCHAR2(40 CHAR), "PRICE" NUMBER(15,2), CONSTRAINT "AUTOOS_PK" PRIMARY KEY ("ID") USING INDEX PCTFREE 10 INITRANS 2 MAXTRANS 255 COMPUTE STATISTICS STORAGE(INITIAL 65536 NEXT 1048576 MINEXTENTS 1 MAXEXTENTS 2147483645 PCTINCREASE 0 FREELISTS 1 FREELIST GROUPS 1 BUFFER_POOL DEFAULT FLASH_CACHE DEFAULT CELL_FLASH_CACHE DEFAULT) TABLESPACE "SYSTEM" ENABLE ) SEGMENT CREATION IMMEDIATE PCTFREE 10 PCTUSED 40 INITRANS 1 MAXTRANS 255 NOCOMPRESS LOGGING STORAGE(INITIAL 65536 NEXT 1048576 MINEXTENTS 1 MAXEXTENTS 2147483645 PCTINCREASE 0 FREELISTS 1 FREELIST GROUPS 1 BUFFER_POOL DEFAULT FLASH_CACHE DEFAULT CELL_FLASH_CACHE DEFAULT) TABLESPACE "SYSTEM"

resulting in these column / field information in my DBExplorer:

Just seeing some of this discussion is helpful. Thanks!