Opinion on a Refurb

I am 99.9% a macOS person… and have an old MacPro that had been running Win10 via Bootcamp… but it seems that Microsoft issued a recent update that for the most part seems to have caused Windows to no longer work (I get a black screen, cursor, and trashcan). So I’m thinking that since technically Win10 was never supposed to work with the setup I have and only did because I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 within Bootcamp in the first place.

So anyways… I guess I need a cheap PC (only for testing Xojo apps nothing more).

What are you opinions on the MINIMUM setup to look at?

• AMD?

• C2D?

• or go with a minimum of I3?

• 4gig?

• 8gig?

I don’t need monitor, keyboard or mouse (have lots of those)

Also, if the PC has the old PS2 keyboard/mouse connectors… will USB devices work (via the USB ports of course)

Dave,
since you are just going to be testing I would look for an affordable I3 or I5 with 6 to 8 GB RAM

Not sure if you are looking at retail or looking for used on Ebay or Craigs.

I actually use a 2011 Dell I5 with 8GB and Intel graphics chip set to run Xojo and build for Windows

And Yes I have an even older PC with the old PS2 keybord/mouse ports and USB works fine

I picked up a refurb’d HP C2D/4GB about a year ago from Newegg for $99 CDN. Had a Win10 Pro license. I threw in an old 256 GB SSD, and it’s perfect for final performance testing of my Xojo apps.(I wanted a lowest common denominator type machine just for this).

If the PC has USB ports it will support USB kb’s and mice.

For what its worth we have switched to Intel NUCs for all of our machines and workstations. They are inexpensive, come blank so no bloatware and have pretty much worked flawlessly. Available on Amazon in many power settings and even a stick and are very easy to configure. We’ve bought about 10-15 in the last few years.

Ok… one more question… Does Xojo require an Intel Chip?
or will it work just as well with an AMD chip (AMD Ryzen 3)
I guess I’m going for a cheap but NEW machine, as all the refurbs are of sketchy providence, not to mention most are 6+ years old to start with

I just put a Ryzen 7 in my PC. Works fine.

so I’m guessing the Ryzen 3/5/7 is their answer to Intels i3/5/7
and just as compatible?

The numbering is a bit different, but in general yes: The Ryzen CPUs are very comparable to Intel’s recent Core ix series. In terms of pure single core processing, i9 seems to be the current winner, but for a much higher price.
For Linux systems, AMD CPUs are even first choice. They do not have the Spectre 2 vulnerability that the new Linux kernel tries to fix now, burning up to 50% CPU power in some cases on Intel chips.

AMD make intel compatible chips.

You would only need to worry if you were considering one of those tablet style ‘Windows’ machines which is actually a big phone using a RISC chip, and only running the mobile form of Windows

Don’t buy a system running Windows 10S , or one with an ARM chipset.
Really, its hard to go wrong with a recent second hand Dell.

I ended up buying an Acer Aspire TC780 with a 3.9ghz i3 and it has Microsoft® Windows 10 Home (64 bit)
more tha I wanted to spend for how much it will get used… but perhaps I can make up some of it by selling the macPro

[quote=418481:@Dave S]I ended up buying an Acer Aspire TC780 with a 3.9ghz i3 and it has Microsoft® Windows 10 Home (64 bit)
more tha I wanted to spend for how much it will get used… but perhaps I can make up some of it by selling the macPro[/quote]
It’s a gateway drug. I started my adventure with Windows with a $250 HP so I could remote manage the cash registers when I was with Subway. These days… well let’s just say I’ll spent that on a single part.

LOL… right now I am sitting in front of a 27" iMac with two external monitors, with two iPads connected for iOS testing, and somewhere around 8TB of internal / external HDD space. So no “gateway drug”… I’m WAY past that :slight_smile:
This new PC will be turned on once or twice a month to remote test Xojo apps, and probably for very little else

[quote=418486:@Dave S]LOL… right now I am sitting in front of a 27" iMac with two external monitors, with two iPads connected for iOS testing, and somewhere around 8TB of internal / external HDD space. So no “gateway drug”… I’m WAY past that :slight_smile:
This new PC will be turned on once or twice a month to remote test Xojo apps, and probably for very little else[/quote]
We’ll see :wink:

Despite the money I spend on my PC, I still won’t use Windows for actual work though. I’ll do it if I have to, such as if the Mac is in the shop, but the software just doesn’t compare. The PC plays games, tests on true hardware, and occasionally runs the IDE for real debugging since remote debugging often doesn’t work quite right.

Before you try a separate PC, have you tried Parallels Desktop? I used Parallels 13 all the time on my 2012 era MacBook Pro and I find it works really well for testing Windows. It’s useful being able to snapshot the virtual machine so that I can reset it to a clean Windows install whenever I need, and being able to tweak the RAM size of virtual machines to see how my software performs in low RAM environments.

It helps to have lots of RAM though - Parallels might struggle a bit with 8GB RAM, but if your iMac has 16GB RAM you should be able to easily run an 8GB Windows virtual machine.

EDIT: Argh, just missed that you already bought a machine! Well, you’ll get much faster speeds from the native hardware :slight_smile:

[quote=418491:@Kohan Ikin]
Before you try a separate PC, have you tried Parallels Desktop?[/quote]
Yes and that company will never see a penny of my money again.
One of the updates I did (years ago) destroyed all my data. Literally… after the update all worked fine, but my data…
I restored backups of course, but the fact that it did what it did, caused me to move to Bootcamp instead

[quote=418481:@Dave S]I ended up buying an Acer Aspire TC780 with a 3.9ghz i3 and it has Microsoft® Windows 10 Home (64 bit)
more tha I wanted to spend for how much it will get used… but perhaps I can make up some of it by selling the macPro[/quote]

Glad you found a PC that will suite your needs

I feel like my world is upside down right now, I mean now I can talk to Dave about Windows AND a PC

Whewww…I need to sit down for a minute :wink:

you MAY regret that statement!

on a side note : “Chilly California”??? the only chilly part I’m aware of is above 8000 feet :slight_smile:

Never :slight_smile:

I think I wrote that one morning when it actually went below 40F and I had to scrape a very thin layer of ice off of my windshield :stuck_out_tongue: