Open a pdf file in Ubuntu 12.04

@Mark Donges I just tested this on Ubuntu 12.04 and it works perfect.

I think the problem might be that you have a space between xdg and open.

The command is xdg-open

For example:

dim OpenPDF as new shell
OpenPDF.Execute(“xdg-open /path/to/my/file.pdf”)

When i tested this the program automatically opens the pdf inside my Chrome browser.

Let me know if that helps you.

I think you had ‘xdg -open’ and it should be ‘xdg-open’

So if you get to the PDF directory, what happens if you iterate over the contents and put all the file names in a listbox or array? Do you see the file you’re after?

OK, figured out why I couldn’t see the directory. Case sensitive and my eyes are not what they once were.
That did the trick.
I must have looked at that string a hundred times. On the Windows side the folder is all upper case. I don’t recall renaming the folder to lower case, but that explains how I could miss it so easily.
After 36 years in this industry this reminds me why a second set of eyes is so important.
Thanks guys.

One problem to solve and then I should be able to successfully complete testing.
Still throwing the error on the browser issue. I changed the property to WebKit.

Jeremy, you were right about the space and the idea of using Shell. Thanks for the sharp eyes.

Norman, your comment about case sensitivity was a clue that I didn’t fully appreciate until a bit later. Thanks. I’m not used to having to worry about case in a path. I will now!

Tim, your suggestion to traverse the folder was great. It got me out of the rut I was in and helped me “see” the problem. Thank you.

Linux file systems are normally case sensitive.
It’s unusual to set up Linux with a file system that is NOT case sensitive so always worry about it there.
Windows & OS X are more forgiving that way by default but you can also set OS X up with a case sensitive file system.
Not sure about Windows.

Norman, you mentioned the “correct libraries” in a previous post.
I’m running Ubuntu 12.04 and have run the following:
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
and
sudo apt-get install libwebkitgtk-1.0.0
and yet I still get an error. HTMLViewer requires libwebkit/libwebkitgtk or libgtkhtml

I’m not a linux guru so I’m not 100% sure what you will need to do
Searching the forums for libwebkit may turn up some other folks who have solved this