One last thing for last Xojo-Carbon version

Since last Xojo version is the last one that will support Carbon, they could fix this: <https://xojo.com/issue/32172>
It is so annoying, I reported it 7 months ago and it seems nobody cares :frowning:

[quote=122482:@Stanley Roche Busk]Since last Xojo version is the last one that will support Carbon, they could fix this: <https://xojo.com/issue/32172>
It is so annoying, I reported it 7 months ago and it seems nobody cares :frowning: …[/quote]

From reading the report, the issue is not with OSX or specifically Carbon but with Windows, apparently …

I bet some people hope that dropping Carbon will free resources for other platforms.

Stanley, why don’t you simply convert all your AIFF files to WAVE? It’s technically more efficient anyway since WAVE is little-endian natively whereas AIFF is big-endian natively. AIFF is still around and not obsolete but most people in many areas not even related to Xojo switched to WAVE a long time ago.

If you think AIFF has an advantage even specially for you, let me know and I’ll conquer the issue. Use WAVE. I can’t see this conversion and adaptation taking more than 30 minutes of your time.

There’s lots of free programs that can do this, may I suggest my program Translator www.chickensys.com, use Translator Free. Or buy it. =) =) =)

Well, we don’t know what Stanley wants to do.

If he needs a way to read AIFF/WAVE files cross platform and get sample data, I may be able to write a plugin for that.

Garth solution seems good to me, I did not know that WAVE was better that AIFF, I know nothing about sound formats. I already have WAVE versions of all the sounds I use.

[quote=122482:@Stanley Roche Busk]Since last Xojo version is the last one that will support Carbon, they could fix this: <https://xojo.com/issue/32172>
It is so annoying, I reported it 7 months ago and it seems nobody cares :frowning: …[/quote]

Stanley, not to rain on your parade, but…

I just upgraded from 10.8 to 10.9, and Keynote 5 to Keynote 6. Turns out Apple has basically deprecated the QuickTime .MOV file format. I have dozens of great MOV files that have closed-captionoing (which were a b*tch to make) and now QuickTime (Apple, Inc, Version 10.9) doesn’t recognize files made in QuickTime (Apple, Inc, version 10.8)

Sigh - Progress?

[quote=123041:@Michael Diehr]Stanley, not to rain on your parade, but…

I just upgraded from 10.8 to 10.9, and Keynote 5 to Keynote 6. Turns out Apple has basically deprecated the QuickTime .MOV file format. I have dozens of great MOV files that have closed-captionoing (which were a b*tch to make) and now QuickTime (Apple, Inc, Version 10.9) doesn’t recognize files made in QuickTime (Apple, Inc, version 10.8)

Sigh - Progress?[/quote]
I don’t know how your subtitles are done, but QuickTime Player (the borderless one, not the good qt7) will convert mov files when you open them.

As it turns out, Subtitles come in literally 25+ different flavors.

In Keynote 6, M4V “subtitle” or “Closed Caption” atoms work, but “Text” atoms (from QuickTime MOV files) do not. For the gory details and a workaround: see KeyNote 6.2 won't show closed captioning … - Apple Community

(And, to avoid a thread hijack: ) Not to belittle Stanley’s point, but it seems that in the last year or two, Apple has really been on a “slash & burn” campaign. Old stuff gets dropped for no apparent reason (other than it might require some amount of work to keep supporting it. As Apple only has $100B in the bank, we all feel great sympathy for their plight). Microsoft, meanwhile, still supports XP apps written in 1993 but has decided to cover the screen with METRO love.

I really liked 10.6.8 and Windows 7. Can we just go back there now, please?

Apple has always done this - its just more rapid now
OpenDoc anyone ?
The push to get EVERYTHING moved into some new Cocoa API is definitely more rapid in recent years

[quote=123060:@Michael Diehr]As Apple only has $100B in the bank, we all feel great sympathy for their plight). Microsoft, meanwhile, still supports XP apps written in 1993 but has decided to cover the screen with METRO love.

I really liked 10.6.8 and Windows 7. Can we just go back there now, please?[/quote]

It sounds doubtful Apple will revert to Snow Leopard now when Yosemite is starting to retire 32 bits calls.

For Windows, all their love for Metro seems to have produced only frustration and criticism. So much so, Windows 9 will get back the Start menu, and now run cr@ppy Metro apps in Desktop windows.
https://forum.xojo.com/14930-windows-9-aka-threshold-around-the-corner