Older versions of Xojo on M1 Mac?

I keep a Parallels VM of Catalina around to run 32-bit apps that will never get updated. Parallels created it from the Recovery disk partition.

1 Like

You’re not the only one. I fully understand that projects like this won’t be moved to a newer Xojo Version just for the sake of having the latest IDE. It takes a hughe amount of testing and work. And then there are other aspects, too - also mentioned by others.

Not entirely (in my opinion), but there is some truth in this…

You, and others with similar projects / situation.

Fact is that built apps with 2018r3+ work just fine on Big Sur.
And in such a situation of having to use a pre 2019r3.2 Xojo Version for whatever reason(s) - well, one can use two machines. Or a VM. But that doesn’t help productivity at all - on the contrary. Best would be to be able to continue using an earlier XojoVersion on BigSur (for the production release), while preparing for 2020rx at the same time, on the same machine.

While I can understand that Xojo doesn’t want to support old versions, I’d still like them to let us know if there is any chance of some tweak/configuration/linker-replacement/unsupported-solution that they could provide in a “take it, try it - but don’t blame us if it doesn’t work” way.

That would be a “wow - they still care about long time users and their projects (which might take quite some time to bring forward to 2020rx)

1 Like

I’d be totally on board with any tweaks Xojo could provide to get older versions to run on Big Sur on Intel.

Meanwhile, I’ll be spending the rest of my afternoon seeing just how completely broken this project is on the latest Xojo on a Big Sur machine.

1 Like

i just got macbook pro with the M1 and able to run Xojo 2017r3 , 2019r1.1, 2020r1.2 without any problem except the plugins wasn’t loaded and i need to run the following command on the terminal and everyone work ok

sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /path/to/Xojo.app

2 Likes

Hi Richard - are you able to actually compile projects for both Mac OS and Windows?

yes… i was able to run and also build for for xojo 2017r3…
was able to run the exe generate from the M1 macbook

I’ve not bought yet any M1 machine, but if after using Terminal I could run 2019r1.1 and 2019r2.1 I’d be more than pleased.

That’s odd. On MBP13M1 Rosetta2 was already installed (or it installed it in the background without any notification).

Nope, it wasn’t for me. It has to be installed on the first run. But it is a very quick installation, easy to overlook it, you only need to confirm it once.

However my MBP was delivered with 11.0.0 and after upgrade to 11.0.1 I had to re-install Rosetta2 again. Perhaps it is included with 11.0.1 and you MBP had already the latest installed? Or 11.0.1 has a never version, which Apple pushes for those running 11.0.0?

Mine had 11.00 and I had to update to 11.0.1 too.
I really cannot recalling to have Rosetta2 to install. My first app I installed was Xcode. Maybe it also installed Rosetta2. Not sure.

:slight_smile: Hah, that’s most likely the reason. Thank you for the reminder, I was pretty sure I installed everything but I forgot Xcode. It is quite a while ago that I made a clean install. :slight_smile:

Thats promising as those versions don’t appear to work on the DTK.

Well, I have 11.1 beta on the DTK.

Do any older versions of Xojo work for you?
Xojo 2017r3 just hangs during launch (I never see the splash screen).

I’ve tried every 11 beta including 11.1

I thought about deleting the Rosetta 2 cache but I for some reason I can no longer boot into recovery mode to disable SIP.

the only xojo i can’t get to use is the Xojo2014r2.1 (have to keep this since of my client need to use it)

strange… i manage to get that working… both run and build

I have the DTK so it could be a difference between test and real hardware.

i have not idea you are using DTK… maybe the test and real hardware is slightly different…

what about the speed opening or compiling in xojo in the DTK???

Our built apps run well on the DTK under Rosetta 2.

Xojo launching speed and IDE performance is not that different to Intel Macs. My gut feeling is that Xojo code inefficiencies are to blame there.

Unfortunately, none of the Xojo versions we use day to day don’t run on the DTK so I haven’t been able to test compilation speed.

For web apps the same. This is a bummer, since Xojo refuses to hotfix the bug that was introduced in 2019r2 where webapps do not adapt to user browser language settings anymore.
Especially for webapps, the transition to 2020 means a complete rewrite.