old forum

Hi
many users of the old forum i not see them in this forum

The old forum is read only and there are several links directing people to the new website. Hopefully they’ll find their way soon. :wink:

It’s because Xojo forced people to use their real names instead of the old user names. They even did this without asking, by taking the real names from the website account for the new forum. Very annoying.

There are lots (and lots) of old forum accounts that are inactive. Users who left the platform, or were spam bots, or any number of other reasons.

Also, we did not use real names without asking. All user accounts default to have forum access turned off. There is text explaining what happens when you enable it. The new forum is purely opt-in.

[quote=14514:@Thom McGrath]There are lots (and lots) of old forum accounts that are inactive. Users who left the platform, or were spam bots, or any number of other reasons.

Also, we did not use real names without asking. All user accounts default to have forum access turned off. There is text explaining what happens when you enable it. The new forum is purely opt-in.[/quote]

Because of that i believe the number of members will decline. At least you could allow users to use nick names. I know lot of people they will not use full name on the internet as they know it can never ever be erased from the internet once it’s out.

However, Thom, here’s my story:
For invoice and tax reasons, we payed with the credit card of my partner. RS took automatically the real name of the credit card holder as the license owner name. This was not a problem in the past, because we could use nick names in the old forum. But anyhow, her real name was always used in Feedback. I never found out how to change this - if Feedback worked at all. Now, with the new forum, my partners real name was shown. I tried to change this several times without success and had a private conversation with Geoff about this. I explained him why we don’t want to see our real names in the forum. First he understood but next day again, he asked me to use real names. So I was forced to disable the connection between the website account and the forum. But then I had no access to the “Pro Forum” and the informations which we also payed for as a “Pro” User. So, last week I asked Katherine to change the website account, which ended up in an still unsolved disaster. Ask her about the details.

So, now I ask you, Thom:
What is so complicated on the fact, that the payer of a software is not the user of the software?
Who gave Xojo permissions to use the name of a credit card owner for an open forum?
Why is it such a mess to change the user name? Sometimes it worked sometimes my partners credit card name was shown.

Thom, this story is much longer and annoying then you might be informed about. I’m sure Xojo doesn’t want me to write this all again here in an open forum.

And another question:
Why does Xojo read the user account name of our developing machine and stores it (even unhashed) in an online DB?!? I never gave permissions for that!!!

I’m really getting tired of all this hassle and trouble on top of troubles since 12 days!

[quote=14520:@Heiko Hellmer]
Why does Xojo read the user account name of our developing machine and stores it (even unhashed) in an online DB?!? I never gave permissions for that!!![/quote]
Actually, you did. It’s in the Xojo EULA.

[quote]
You agree to allow the Xojo IDE to transmit via SSL your computer’s name and your computer user name so that you can identify, via your account on xojo.com, where your license keys are installed.[/quote]

I agree with you, however, on your other points.

Thanks, Andrew. I wasn’t aware of the EULA changes coming with the new Xojo. Still, why is it stored unhashed in an online DB?
I’m using several hardware IDs and create an irreversible hash of it, to identify our users permission to use our software. Also this hash is stored in an offline DB. Shouldn’t be hard for Xojo to do it in an similar way.

I’m sure you can change your name at your account page. I recently saw a name on this forum along these lines,“aaaaaaaaaaaaaa bbbbbbbbbbbbb”, I doubt very much that that is a real and true name. Rightly or wrongly, I formed an opinion regarding these types of names.

Secondly though, this is not a dating site so why are some so precious with their identities? Take ownership and accountability of your posts rather than hiding behind false names.

Just my two cents worth.

Steven, I see your point and agree basically. But we have very good reasons not to use our real names, because it would be a problem for our biz. I already explained this to Geoff but can’t tell you more here. I’m sure others may have similar issues with this.

Have you tried changing your name at the account page? I’m sure you can do it.

Yes, you can change your name.

Yes, Steven. If you read my post above: This story is much more longer than just changing the name without success. I’m in a long, still dissatisfying conversation in the background with Xojo about this. As I said, I can’t talk about it here.

Okay, hope it all works out for you.

Where?

The main site contain the old nick name in an edit field, while this forum contain real name, but it seems I can’t find the location to change it.

[quote=14544:@Detlef Kahner]Where?

The main site contain the old nick name in an edit field, while this forum contain real name, but it seems I can’t find the location to change it.[/quote]

Try here: https://xojo.com/account/login.php

[quote=14528:@Steven Taylor]
Secondly though, this is not a dating site so why are some so precious with their identities? Take ownership and accountability of your posts rather than hiding behind false names.

Just my two cents worth.[/quote]

Yes you’re right, this is not a dating site. But some prefer to stay anonymous either because of business reasons or culture issues.

Guys. We recently added a Teams mechanism to the Xojo licensing system that may help here. Create a new account in YOUR name, have the primary account holder assign your keys to you, and then use your account to log in here and in the IDE.

For what it’s worth, people tend to be more civil to one another when they need to use their real name in a situation like this. You never know when you might run into them in a dark alley. :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s exactly what we did without success some days ago. Therefore I asked Katherine last week to fix this. Now the original account of my partner has been deleted. I don’t no why - I have not removed it. The story continues…

Honestly, I’m not sure why this has been so complicated. It’s actually a very easy situation to handle, something we have built-in mechanisms for. As Greg mentioned, the Team feature is exactly for this purpose.

What should have happened is the existing account should have had the login disabled, and a new account created with the same login details. Then pair the accounts together, and assign one of the owner’s licenses to your new account. When it is time to renew, the original account would gain new login details so your purchaser can renew your key.

What did happen, I’m not sure. I have researched it much. I’ve heard bits and pieces, but that’s it.

On Monday I’ll dig in a little deeper and get you squared away. My point though is we are well aware there are users in situations like this. We’ve put tools on our website so you can handle this yourself, and customer service can too. We designed our licensing with situations like yours in mind. It’s not abnormal at all.