ODBC Requires a Database Xojo Add-on?

Hello everyone. Can someone tell me if using ODBC requires the Xojo Database license?

I want to connect to an Access database, but I don’t have the Database Add-on.

Thanks to anyone who can answer this! :slight_smile:

Theres probably at least 2, possibly more, ways to do this

1. use odbc - yes it require a database access license
  2. use ADO via activeX objects - folks have posted about doing that but I have no idea about how well it works
  3. I suspect theres probably a plugin from MBS which would require the plugin license

There may be others

Yep, you need a Database License. (Add $200 to that $300-$400 you’ve already paid)

However, there really should be a warning dialog stating this when adding a licensed database. (Any non-SQLite DB) Why there isn’t one is beyond me.

[quote=133929:@Shane Gibbs]
However, there really should be a warning dialog stating this when adding a licensed database. (Any non-SQLite DB) Why there isn’t one is beyond me.[/quote]

It isn’t that way because thats not how we decided our product should work.
Until you build you don’t need it and if we display it when you add one, then you work for a long period and then build you’ve forgotten about that one dialog way back when - so we display it when you build

Xojo includes an example to show you how to use ADO to connect to an Access DB:

/Example Projects/Platform-Specific/Windows/LoadMSAccessUsingADO

SQL Plugin with SQLConnectionMBS does not require Xojo database license.

But SQLDatabaseMBS class needs one as it uses Xojo’s database engine.

Thanks for the helpful answers

What if work for a long period of time and then build and find out the hard way that you should have been using SQLite all along???

If you started out by buying everything just in case - not sure who will / won’t refund what
You’d have to ask customer service

But from a code perspective - you switch to using sqlite & keep going

If you DIDn’t buy everything & have just bee running sources you switch & keep going - not costs or refunds required