Nothing Runs From IDE

Weird. I don’t think i’ve ever had that problem in 14 years of RB & Xojo.

Does the Event Viewer show anything?

I’ve moved it (and the lib folder) to the desktop… still not running. Now everything that could interfere has been disabled, it’s difficult to know what to do. Everything else runs fine.

Have you tried creating a brand new user on the machine to see if Xojo will run there?

What about trying another development environment like Visual Studio? Just to see if new executables are blocked or not.

Just tried creating a new new user account “Test”. Same issue. I’ve also got Visual Studio. That appears to edit, compile and run OK.

Thanks for your thoughts on this folks. I’m willing to try anything, if you think it stands a chance of working.

keving mentioned this but does the Event Viewer show anything?

Nothing I can see, Jason.

I’ve switched to one of the other machines with the same issue. I’m starting to suspect HP Zbook (possibly bloatware security?!) may be the issue. We’re all encountering the same problem. The university have a HP laptops policy and the problem appears to affect us all.

Sorry for the trouble you’re having with this.

It might be worth trying Windows in a VM to prove/disprove your HP laptop theory.

Try running the Microsoft DebugView utility to see if that shows any additional information when you try to run.

Thanks Paul. We’re persevering with it. Nothing (obvious) in the debug window. One of my colleagues is downloading a VM now.

Boy this is exciting. I’m glued to the screen now.

4 Likes

Hi Tim. We really wish it wasn’t !?

2 Likes

We’re all rootin’ for you :grin:

1 Like

Thanks Tim.

When you do a Run Paused have you tried executing the debug app as administrator? The debug app communicates with the IDE via localhost. Typically the localhost resolves to the loopback address (i.e. 127.0.0.1), so make sure you can ping 127.0.0.1 on the command line.

OK, we’ve been at this problem for two-and-a-bit days and we’re probably now bumping into the frontier of our expertise. Installing and using the VM has proven to be beyond difficult. I’m hoping someone from Xojo is able to help?

I was told our sister campus apparently tried Xojo when 2020v1.2 was first released (not long ago), but ran into the same problem. As they’re a systems engineering group and our lowly group are attached to a management school, we’re starting to feel a little better about our inadequacies.

I hope your IT Dept is assisting. What have they had to say?

Antivirus software together with group policies can be crucial. Often it looks like AV is paused or switched off, but it isn’t … and as every debug app from Xojo is a “new” App, this might easily bring AV to stop the execution … But if this is the case you most likely don’t have the necessary rights to uninstall the AV software :-(.

One would like to think that any such AV software has an exceptions list - even if its the IT Dept that has to modify it.

1 Like