Note taking app

What are you guys using for taking notes?

I’m trying to get away from Yojimbo because I’ve had annoying problems with syncing.

1. Evernote looks nice, syncing works easily. There is no support for webarchives. I’ve got a couple of hundred of them. So I’m not going to convert those manually with the clipper.
  2. Devonthink has a way overengineered interface. Synching looks and feels just awful. At first try I managed to delete my Dropbox data and got strange sync errors.
  3. OneNote’s interface is just terrible.

Any other ideas? I’d look at self-hosted web apps if they gave me a good option to import my old data. Getting data out of Yojimbo isn’t a problem except for the tags.

I use dropbox. The web interface gives me access to each saved version including deleted notes.

@Wayne: interesting. Is there a dedicated app?

On windows I use notepad and I’m careful to name my files to the subject. Of course the live data is also stored on my local HD, so I can search the folder structure easily.

I often save stuff from the interwebs. But I’ve just seen that there is a beta for Dropbox Notes.

With an Synology NAS, you can use DS Note Station

Pen & paper :stuck_out_tongue:
Great tactile feel
No limits on what I can put IN my notes - sketches, lists, you name it - video is a bit of a pain though

Thanks for the ideas, guys. Pen & paper is out because I always manage to loose the paper. Besides I can’t write very much due to arthritis. Surely, you can do video on paper with a flip book (german is daumenkino = thumb cinema).

there is always the dictaphone, with the tiny little tape cassettes. Not quite as low tech as pen and paper, but a sure conversation piece.

Tendonitis doesn’t help here either :stuck_out_tongue:

I use a DJ211… didn’t even know about note station

uhmm… simple notes app on Mac… or as Norm said: just a piece of paper… most of my notes are short-term notes… and if I loose it after couple of days and no other brings it back to my attention again… well then this one was not important :wink:

I one was asked by a boss to write a note taking app that had all kinds of features

It ended up with he wanted something like what a Newton would do with sketches (straighten lines when you drew them make circles round etc), could do audio (no video then) and all sort of other things

We quite literally wrote a spec that described a pen & paper but in “tech terms”
When he agreed to the spec we gave him a stack of note pads & a box of pens
He objected - but did confess they met every aspect of the spec he’d agreed to :stuck_out_tongue:

Sometimes the best answer is also the simplest and we try to throw technology at everything

[quote=200927:@Norman Palardy]We quite literally wrote a spec that described a pen & paper but in “tech terms”
When he agreed to the spec we gave him a stack of note pads & a box of pens
He objected - but did confess they met every aspect of the spec he’d agreed to[/quote]

I’ve used those before! The cool thing is that they are fully compatible with remote synching and sharing via mail carrier!

I use Evernote. Can’t live without it. They changed their policy on syncing emails…that is now a paid feature, but even so being able to sync and get my notes from every platform makes it priceless.

sometimes as “tech folks” we look for a “tech answer” and its not always the right one or the best one

using the P&P method you can also distribute your notes to anyone else via scan, fax or photo
unlike the old days when you had to hire a “scribe” and supply a quill and ox blood

to me P&P still is the most secure method when thinking about NSA…

You stole that line from the “Kingsmen : Secret Service”, where Samuel L. Jackson was crossing off the names of world leaders he had co-opted :slight_smile: