Notarization with DMGCanvas failure

Up to now, I used my small MacBook 2015 to sign and notarize my DMGs with DMGCanvas. Works like a breeze.

Well, not so much on my new iMac 27".

I have installed the command line tools in XCode 11.3.1, but yet, here is what I get. I double checked the app specific password for my Apple ID, but still :

[code]=== Notarizing…
=== Uploading the disk image for notarization…
/usr/bin/xcrun altool --notarize-app --primary-bundle-id com.matchsoftware.checkprintrplusplus5 -u michel@bujardet.com -f /Users/michelbujardet/Documents/MatchFonts/1-Development/CP CW/DMGDistrib/Check Print’R+.dmg --output-format xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> os-version 10.14.6 product-errors code -22016 message We are unable to create an authentication session. userInfo NSLocalizedDescription We are unable to create an authentication session. NSLocalizedFailureReason Unable to validate your application. tool-path /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/SharedFrameworks/ContentDeliveryServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/AppStoreService.framework tool-version 4.00.1181

Uploading for notarization failed.
Error code -22016. We are unable to create an authentication session.
[/code]

I am getting the same error Notarizing an app… not a DMG.

As far as I can tell this error message encompasses several, it would help if Apple published the error messages and exactly what they mean.

The 3 things that I’ve narrowed it down to (with the help of App Wrapper customers who receive this).

1. Incorrect login details, e-mail or password. Although it has been known to produce a different error message for incorrect login details.
  2. Software blocking access to the 4 or so different Apple services that are used for this process. Including, believe it or not, iCloud services. If you have 3rd party firewall, you should blanket allow any address on 17...*.
  3. The service has fallen over. Sometimes this gets displayed on Apple’s service stats, sometimes it doesn’t. Typically it normally falls over during the weekend, sometimes it’s for a short period, the longest I’ve recorded is 2 days.

It may be a little coincidence (or maybe not) but in the last month I’ve seen a lot of SSL failures with Apple’s StoreKit and handling IAP functions.

I don’t know much about how this works, I use Sam’s AppWrapper, but I’ll throw this out there: Are you trying to use the same application-specific password on your new iMac as you did on the old one? I seem to recall a problem when I did this some time ago. Try getting a new ASP on your iMac and using it instead of your current one.

[quote=479346:@Sam Rowlands]The 3 things that I’ve narrowed it down to (with the help of App Wrapper customers who receive this).

1. Incorrect login details, e-mail or password. Although it has been known to produce a different error message for incorrect login details.
  2. Software blocking access to the 4 or so different Apple services that are used for this process. Including, believe it or not, iCloud services. If you have 3rd party firewall, you should blanket allow any address on 17...*.
  3. The service has fallen over. Sometimes this gets displayed on Apple’s service stats, sometimes it doesn’t. Typically it normally falls over during th[/quote]

Thank you Sam.

I had already explored 1. but I now will see about 2 and 3.

I will try that. Thanks John.

I am still having problems… Using AppWrapper (3.11.2) the app CodeSigns OK… but a few seconds after I submit for Notarization I get the “We are unable to create an authentication session” error.

I am currently in Costa Rica so I am wondering if my IP address may be an issue… but I also tried using a US based VPN and that does not help.

I have logged into my account with Xcode (11.3.1)… also logged into my Apple Developer account with no problems.

I do not have a firewall. I have logged out of my account with Xcode and then back in again…

At this point I hope to be back in the US next week (if Delta does not cancel my flight) and I will try it again from home.

I wouldn’t think that it should but the process is so opaque that it might.

Are you using a app-specific password? If not, try creating one (in the account editor of the Notarize window in App Wrapper, there’s a blue link that will help you).

If you are, you can try creating a new one, in case Apple decided that you need a new one.

Sam… as usual you got it!

I was using an app-specific password but some how it was invalid… so I went to https://appleid.apple.com and created a new one and that one worked.

Thanks

[quote=479480:@Jim Meyer]Sam… as usual you got it!

I was using an app-specific password but some how it was invalid… so I went to https://appleid.apple.com and created a new one and that one worked.

Thanks[/quote]
Pleased to read that it’s now working for you, I guess they might have some checks they do when using a ASP, or they might just expire. I guess some information collection over time will help us understand it.

Maybe it’s because your IP address changed? Guess we’ll test that theory when you return home.

I create a new Apple iD with a new app specific password. This time I get
“Uploading the disk image for notarization…”

And in Show details

[code]=== Notarizing…
=== Uploading the disk image for notarization…
/usr/bin/xcrun altool --notarize-app --primary-bundle-id com.matchsoftware.checkprintrplusplus5 -u mitchboo@gmail.com -f /Users/michelbujardet/Documents/MatchFonts/1-Development/CP CW/DMGDistrib/Check Print’R+1.dmg --output-format xml

…[/code]

I get a series of ellipses like that, getting longer and longer.

So far so good, but it never seems to complete.