Not installed without Admin Account

Xojo refuses to get install on my system without Admin account. Any workaround? Any portable version?

what O/S and version are you running?

I have Win7 installed with 4Gb RAM.

You have to be an admin to install just about anything on Win7. Have you tried right-clicking the installer and selecting “Run as Administrator”?

Nope! It is not mandatory. I have installed plenty without admin account access on the same Win7 system.

I have no Admin Account access. I have a client system on a network having tight policy restrictions. All those installers having clause to have access of Admin Account refuses to get installed on my system. No use of right-click-Run-As-Admin. Only workaround seems is a portable version.

[quote=157641:@Ashwin Chandarana]Nope! It is not mandatory. I have installed plenty without admin account access on the same Win7 system.

I have no Admin Account access. I have a client system on a network having tight policy restrictions. All those installers having clause to have access of Admin Account refuses to get installed on my system. No use of right-click-Run-As-Admin. Only workaround seems is a portable version.[/quote]

If you can install an emulator such as VirtualBox.org you create inside a virtual Windows machine of your own and you have administrator privileges.

Well, I can try, but I don’t think any Vertual Machine itself can be installed without Admin previlage.

Still I can try, but what about Xojo itself comes in portable form?

Or, is it possible I install the Xojo in a system with Admin rights and then copy the install folder in the restricted system? Will Xojo run this way correctly?

Try it… I think everything is contained in Xojo folder so you should be able to run it… I think the file extension association might not be made though (I use Mac OS X and no VMs otherwise I would test for you)…

Thank you very much. Will try and let the forum know.

Intrestingly, in a restricted system, I can change the file associations, will manage perhaps.

Still, request to keep the thread open for sometime, so as to get the answer about the portable version, if available for download.

Maybe http://www.cameyo.com/ can help you with this.

I tried. Compressed the folder in C:\Program files(x86) with zip, then removed the program from the computer, and copied the zip to the Guest account which has very little privileges.

Then I switched user to Guest, and when I unpacked the folder, was able to run the Xojo.exe inside from the folder on the desktop.

That is one of the features of Xojo apps that they can be run from anywhere on the disk, and it seems to apply to Xojo IDE itself. It should, since it has been written in Xojo too.

That, perhaps, almost answers my question.

What question remains is that, why the installer is made in such a way that asks for the admin rights at first place? If it does not require components to register in the registry, it should get installed in directly without rights, like many other software.

I remember creating a package for one my VB project with a third party installer. While creating package, there was an option which was deciding whether installer will ask and make sure that the client system has admin rights while running.

But, I have noticed such programs also that, whether or not the software runs independently, the installer invariably asks for the admin rights.

As of now, in the absence of ‘portable version’ or ‘admin rights’, the only workaround is, as suggested by me and approved by Michel Bujardet, I think, I will have to do ‘copy-paste’ the installation folder.

Thanks Michel Bujardet!

Does it take admin rights to set the file associations?

I don’t think so. Plenty of times, I have changed the associations of my graphic file, by right clicking and selecting open with… and selecting an appropriate application.

depends on rights assigned to end user. generally they are assign if the user can install software they can change file associations.