No Quicktime support anymore...

I just started the new Xojo version (2014r1) and the whole quicktime support is gone. :frowning:
No chance to open EditableMovies e.t.c.

Some of my apps are using Quicktime components extensive.
Is there any replacement so that I still can maintain these apps?

Also the new MoviePlayer for cocoa can not open animated gifs as movies.

I am a little confused because the new release brakes a lot of my work

They removed QuickTime support from 2014r1 because the Mac App Store is no longer accepting apps that use deprecated QuickTime APIs. The solution here is to continue to develop those apps of yours with 2013r4.

QT Kit and Quicktime API’s are deprecated - not just for the Mac App Store
Even on Windows Quicktime is not getting updated at all

Sure, but you guys don’t usually strip stuff that’s just deprecated. Leaving it in was a problem for MAS acceptance, which is very important to many here. That was my point.

I don’t really see why it had to be removed. Wouldn’t a simple option to exclude QT on build been enough? One could still have had editableMovies, made and sold the apps, just not on MAS. And for apps intended for MAS you check the option.

Ok, I understand.
Does this mean, Apple is dropping Quicktime completely?
Or will there be a replacement in the future.
I know the answer is difficult because Apple never say what they are doing next

Stay with older Xojo version, use declares or plugins for AVFoundation. It’s your choice.

For Xojo its a no-win situation; if they leave QT then they get complaints about it not working in the Mac latest-greatest (or as Norman said Win), if they take it out (read above).

Personally I wish Xojo was more both/and than either/or, but least there’s something the user can do about it, which is run multiple versions of REAL/Xojo and understand “what was the last version that supported ‘this’”.

And remember that updating isn’t the no-brainer we tend to think of it as. UWC - Update With Care.

What Xojo has (so far) done really well for us is enable forward and backward-compatibility with projects. There are many companies that make files that don’t run on older versions - for good reasons, but then one can say they were too lazy to afford the flexibility for the user. Because Xojo has kept pure with this, it enable them to leave behind legacy technologies, but us users have to take responsibility that if we want them, we have to run older REAL/Xojo versions, which is okay since often that doesn’t trip most things up.

And for the OP, it gives you time to upgrade to the AVFoundation stuff.

And off-topic - I was just thinking how long it’s been since Xojo has really released something significant (aside from the IDE, which may or may not count). Can’t wait for: 64-bit support, iOS support, better Windows support. And my personal little wish: a release that says “Executables now run up to 50% faster
” =)

This would require multiple frameworks etc because of the interdependencies - a non-starter

Does this mean, I could use Quicktime with Plugins or declares on Xojo 2014r1?

Well, not quickTime, but AVFoundation.

Will I have my EditableMovie back? :slight_smile:

no, of course not.

You can keep old Xojo version for that.

Thank you anyway.

Basically AVFoundation does things “completely differently” than QTKit or Quicktime

But IS supported on 64 bit (which qtkit & quicktime are not)

“completely differently” would be Ok. But it looked like AVFoundation is very limited compare to QuickTime.

I think even Apple would not suggest its a complete replacement

Gasp ! stay with older release 
 stupid !

Last release correct some bugs and improve Xojo. Maintaining app with older release is stupid.

The best thing seems to define how to replace EditableMovie and others features. I think there is plugins who allo to do the same job than EditableMovie.

Give us a way !

we don’t have time to loose with theses stupid regression !

i don’t understand why Xojo don’t add compatibility functions in AVFundation before deprecating QT

see -> https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/technotes/tn2300/_index.html

[quote=72150:@Didier Cugy]
we don’t have time to loose with theses stupid regression ![/quote]
You could certainly implore Apple to NOT deprecate & eventually remove Quicktime or QTKit from OS X (but thats probably fruitless).
Maybe ask them to allow apps that use QuickTime & QTKit in MAS.
And to support Quicktime on Windows too.

The trouble for us is we have a lot of users who do submit applications to MAS and they cannot use QTKit or Quicktime.
Maintaining two Cocoa frameworks (one that includes quite & QTKit) and one that doesn’t simply isn’t practical.

AVKit is the future of media handling on OS X
QuickTime for Windows seems to be dead (you don’t even need it for iTunes on Windows any more)
It didn’t / doesn’t leave us with many choices but to move to AVFoundation.

And you can still build for Carbon - but with Cocoa AVFoundation is the right choice long term

It is deprecated, not removed. QT works just fine in Mavericks.

[quote]Maybe ask them to allow apps that use QuickTime & QTKit in MAS.
And to support Quicktime on Windows too.[/quote]
QT for Windows was updated just a few weeks ago and continues to work fine.

[quote]The trouble for us is we have a lot of users who do submit applications to MAS and they cannot use QTKit or Quicktime.
Maintaining two Cocoa frameworks (one that includes quite & QTKit) and one that doesn’t simply isn’t practical.[/quote]
Isn’t that what an intelligent linker is for? Or could you not have put the QT functionality into a plugin? Or you could even have put out two Xojo versions until AV Foundation can actually do more.

[quote]AVKit is the future of media handling on OS X
QuickTime for Windows seems to be dead (you don’t even need it for iTunes on Windows any more)
It didn’t / doesn’t leave us with many choices but to move to AVFoundation.[/quote]
I don’t agree. There are other possibilities but you decided to remove, not deprecate QT. And by that you removed OUR choice. Using QT or not aka selling on MAS or not should have been a build setting.

I’m annoyed because now we have an IDE we didn’t need but instead have lost functionality that I do need. From where I stand Xojo hasn’t made smart decisions lately.