No Monaco in a console app

I cannot access the font Monaco from a console app. It’s not the only one, but it’s the one I wanted tonight. Other fonts come up fine (about 300 of them, in fact), but not that. (Or Courier, for that matter.) In a desktop app, all fonts appear to be available.

Why?

Since you mention Monaco I suppose your question is about OS X. AFAIK you change the font in the Terminal’s Preferences dialog.

[quote=116261:@Kem Tekinay]I cannot access the font Monaco from a console app. It’s not the only one, but it’s the one I wanted tonight. Other fonts come up fine (about 300 of them, in fact), but not that. (Or Courier, for that matter.) In a desktop app, all fonts appear to be available.

Why?[/quote]

In my system (Mavericks 10.9.4), the following fonts are .dfont which is not your typical TrueType TTF but some proprietary Apple TrueType format. See http://www.prepressure.com/fonts/basics/dfont

Courier, Geneva, Helvetica, HelveticNeue, Monaco, Times

That may explain …

I was thinking at monospaced windows (Courier, Monaco).

It is a long time since I check what a font is. I spent many hours translating Macintosh Vectorial Fonts (PostScript and TrueType) to Apple II GS/OS. Go figure !

Console apps use libGD for drawing. It maybe not support all font file formats.

Thank you all.