No events addable.

I have a module.
In that module is a class.
I drag that class onto the ide form editor.
An instance appears.
I click on the object and try to add an event handler.
The event list box is empty.
I go back to the inspector for the object.
I add the name of the module to the Super ie mymodule.myclass
I click on the object and try to add an event handler.
Frustrating and very confusing.
I go to that class and add a new event.
I go to that instance and try to add an event handler.
It’s not there.
I exit xojo, come back in.
I go to that instance and try to add an event handler.
I can add the event.

[quote=63849:@Brian O’Brien]I go to that class and add a new event.
I go to that instance and try to add an event handler.[/quote]
The class must have events (either inherited or new) for you to add them. That’s why nothing showed up at first. Once you added an event it didn’t show up, I think, because of how Xojo creates instances on a form. When first placed some sorta copy is created and it doesn’t get updated from changes to the class. This affects the properties list behavior too, forget exactly how.

When something isn’t showing up like that try saving, closing and reopening the project. Those instance copies get updated.

There is a verified bug report about this on feedback, case 30370.

You must add a class by dragging a “Generic Object” into the window editor and then set its Super property to your class name.

No… you can drag them in from the list on the right and they will work just fine. I do this all the time and it works perfectly fine, except for the part where I have to reopen my project every once in a while to add the appropriate event handlers.

[quote=63860:@Jason King]No… you can drag them in from the list on the right and they will work just fine. I do this all the time and it works perfectly fine, except for the part where I have to reopen my project every once in a while to add the appropriate event handlers.

[/quote]
Have you tried dragging a class from a module and adding it?
Does it show the name of the module it came from in the super?

[quote=63861:@Brian O’Brien]Have you tried dragging a class from a module and adding it?
Does it show the name of the module it came from in the super?[/quote]
Yes I have, I tend to organize my classes into modules to keep everything organized so almost every class I drag in is from a module.
And yes to the second question as well. If the module name is “MyModule” and class “MyClass” then the super property in the inspector will be “MyModule.MyClass”.

Not in my IDE it isnt. Ever. I always have to add it.
I think it’s time for a new version of the IDE with bug fixes. :frowning:
Till then I’m dead in the water after a lot of effort.

I use 2013r4.1. Do you use one of the older ones?

Jason: if you add an object as I described it, the events will be addable.

We use the same version. I am on Mac OS X though… you?

[quote=63866:@Eli Ott]

Jason: if you add an object as I described it, the events will be addable.[/quote]
Do you have a work around for control sets of an object that generates events?

Oh, ok now I understand what you were saying. I thought you meant that they couldn’t be dragged in.

Mac OSX here also, 10.7.5 (Lion).

Brian:

• this is not a work-around, this is the way it worked in RB for years (remember there was no way to drag from a navigator to a window, so you had to do it manually)
  • what do you mean with “Do you have a work around for control sets of an object that generates events?”

[quote=63872:@Eli Ott]Brian:

this is not a work-around, this is the way it worked in RB for years (remember there was no way to drag from a navigator to a window, so you had to do it manually)

[/quote]
It seems to me that when you created a new class that that class would appear on the tool bar and you could drag it in. That is what I believe has changed. If you can’t drag a class in from the navigator then you shouldn’t be able to.

Do a search in the forum for:

I didn’t say you couldn’t and it is clearly a bug. But the other (much older way) is working - so why ranting around? File a bug report in Feedback and use the old-fashioned way.

Do a search in the forum for:

Please, I have answered in that thread half an hour ago. So go there and read.

1. Start a new web project
  2. Add a generic object from the library onto the form editor.
  3. Set is Name to MyShellPool
  4. Set is Super to Shell
  5. In Control Set, Set Member of to MyShellPool
  6. click on the object (on the form or in the navigator) and add an event handler.
  7. Event list pops up, Select Completed.
  8. Note that there is no index in the Event Handler Completed.

Well, why not mention in the beginning that your talking about a Web app? And why not file it under in the first place?

Sorry, can’t help you with Web app problems.

A quick search in the forum shows: you can only add WebControl instances to a control set. So you have to wrap your shell within a WebControl.

I think you’re on to something… but I’m not sure I understand how to wrap a shell in a webcontrol.
Sorry and Thanks.

I tried those steps in a web project and see the problem too. (Doesn’t happen in desktop). A little fiddling though and the index parameter appears. Try adding a second member to the control set, that did it for me. Or maybe save and reopen. And report the bug.