No Build

Hi all,
As I always start out, I’m just a hobby programmer and have a new issue I can’t figure out. Any help greatly appreciated.

I’ve got a Mac app that I use for personal use. It’s a couple of years old and I “tinker” with it regularly. A couple of days ago I adjusted a couple of minor things (to do with printing out) and now it won’t build.

I’ve tried building it on a 3 year old iMac and a 1 year old MacBook Pro and same results - It gets almost all the way thru then gives a message “Compilation of ‘Holiday Planner’ failed.” It gives an error number #0 (big help!!), and a couple of suggestions which are ok.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Barry

Did you select as OS to build?

Build Settings
macOS

Hi Lennox,
Yes. Thanks for the reply. I only have a Lite version which only builds on macOS. I didn’t specifically set that this time, but this app has always built in the past and I haven’t changed anything there. (also, just checked and yes it is set for MacOS)

Since the original post, I’ve gone back and built a couple of other apps I work on and they built ok so it must be something to do with this app. I’ve even rem’ed out the entire method that I made the changes in and still nogo.

what version of Xojo did you use to write it in the first place, what verison of macOS at that same time?

and what versions of each are you using now.

Hi Dave,
I posted a reply to this about 30 ago but it doesn’t seem to be here. I’ll do it again but apologise if it comes up twice.

I always update to the latest of anything I use so XOJO is rel3 and macOS is latest version of Catalina. This is, however, the first build under each of these. I didn’t change any build settings and have macOS and “This Computer” both ticked and both set on X86 64bit.

The only changes I made were a few lines printing and using the commands g.DrawString and g.Rect. So, not sure if any changes have been mad to these commands in latest version or not.

Barry

that is what you are using NOW… what were you using when you first created it

Oh, it’s probably about 2-3 years I’ve been dabbling with this so it would have been XOJO 2017-2018 whatever version and whatever the MacOS was at that time. However, I would have built it at least at some stage earlier this year so it would have been either XOJO r1 or r2 and whatever MacOS was (? Mohave).

During that couple of years it would have been built several times with no issues including when it changed from 32 to 64 bit.

Barry

Maybe permissions.

1/ Always make sure that you delete the folder where the last build happened… if the last build still exists, compiling can fail.
2/ Catalina may need to be told to allow Xojo permissions to save files.

To do that, open System Preferences/ Security, and choose Full Disk Access
Click the padlock to allow changes, and add Xojo to the list. Then lock it again.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply, the previous build folder is something I was actually aware of and had checked already.

I’ve set the permissions, still with no success.

Maybe it’s time to contact XOJO and ask them they’re thoughts, do you think?

Barry

[quote=469748:@Barry Sidebottom]Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply, the previous build folder is something I was actually aware of and had checked already.

I’ve set the permissions, still with no success.

Maybe it’s time to contact XOJO and ask them they’re thoughts, do you think?

Barry[/quote]
Just to clarify… is your project saved on a remote server or in a Dropbox or Google Drive folder?

Hi Greg,
All my projects are saved on Dropbox. However, as indicated, nothing here has changed from the last time I built it.

Barry

Use your built-in hard disk and watch what happens.

Emile,
That’s done it :slight_smile:
So, guys, any thoughts why Dropbox has suddenly stopped this from building but will still build my other projects?

Barry

Barry:
I only explained what Greg wrote (and this already comes to this forum). :wink:

Size? Time to build?
In simplistic terms, it often feels to me that if you have a process that saves a big file over a while, DropBox (and iCloud) can whip it away to the cloud before you have finished working on it.
So the last stage (add an icon, insert some resources, add a CRC… what have you) can no longer reference that actual file it started working on. No doubt someone will have a more technical explanation, or disagree, but its a theory, and since turning these cloud backup services off does indeed fix some problems of this nature, its as good an explanation as any.

Yeah, it is a pretty big file now compared to the others. Thanks everyone for your help.

And especially to Dave S for the generous offer.

Barry