No access to App folder in El Capitan?

I’m not running OSX 10.11 yet, but a customer stated this to me - I’m not sure it’s true. Is it?

“The latest Mac OS doesn’t let the administrator access the application folder-- meaning, you can’t do command/I and change the permissions.”

I’m not sure what you mean by App folder?
Do you mean the “Show Package Contents” or /Applications

I doubt that even in all of Apple’s idiot-proofing they would disable administrator commands. I could be wrong though, in which case have you tried chmod?

No problems here. Is that in an bigger network? Maybe a system administrator has enabled root access and narrowed the Administrator’s access to the application folder?

I really don’t think my client knows what he’s talking about, but I wanted to make sure. I’m talking about the /Applications folder, where all apps go. And this is just a regular single person using his computer, no corporate, nothing like that. It’s like “ordered a MBP, got it in, had 10.11 OSX on it”.

I’ve never heard of not ever being able to access a folder, period. “Admin” means God and though folders may be hidden, it doesn’t mean you can’t access them.

I think this is part of the new Security system in El Capitan, it basically stops apps from modifying the Applications folder, meanwhile Finder and the Apple installer are still able to modify it.

http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/05/disable-rootless-system-integrity-protection-mac-os-x/

I’ve had a few customers who can no longer code sign their apps when the security system is disabled, I’ve not tried to replicate this myself as I leave it enabled. But if you need to code sign and it fails, try re-enabling the security system.

Thanks - I think all this means he’s incorrect. A standard MBP coming with 10.11 OSX - you can open the Applications folder and view everything there.

[quote=236904:@Garth Hjelte]I’m not running OSX 10.11 yet, but a customer stated this to me - I’m not sure it’s true. Is it?

“The latest Mac OS doesn’t let the administrator access the application folder-- meaning, you can’t do command/I and change the permissions.”[/quote]

Not sure if this is what he means. With the Applications folder already open/shown in Finder and in focus, pressing Command-I on the keyboard will show up an Applications Info window. At the bottom is Sharing and Permissions… expand that and there is a yellow lock at the bottom right. He need to unlock this with the administrator password before he can making changes to sharing and permissions.

Well, I could see where your Xojo application can’t access the /Applications folder. That’s similar behavior as Windows (Vista and above). I think you’re okay as long as you’re doing read-only access to your application directory.