Nice IDE Trick

Just discovered this nice trick in the Mac ide, well … maybe everyone knows already about it and i was the only one who wasn’t aware of but …
If you focus on Library and start typing on the keyboard some letters of a control name the IDE will automatically jump to the closest match based on what you have typed !

Very nice ! No need to use the bottom search field anymore :slight_smile:

Hi Matteo
Thank you Nice info.
I tested it. Each keyboard key is available to select object. And Return key(Mac) is available to drop or set each object on the window. This is very nice. Also, arrow keys is available to move up down left right
I found other return key is available to show input caption window at selected object. Next keydown return key, input window close.

Very nice this one ! Thanks !

I am a linux/Cisco (tab) shortcut guy so thank you for this! :slight_smile:

Thank you.

With RealStudio, I hit TabKey to navigate between all the objects of my Windows. It was useful when the object are closed each other and small.
How can I do that with Xojo IDE ?

This is nice. I usually have trouble finding the Listbox and this beats the search field.

Another trick I recently discovered is you can enter a property name like this, all in the Name field
“foo As double”
and “double” gets automatically moved to the Type field. Same for methods (but they don’t handle return types). So
“bar(i As integer, q As String)”
in the method Name field will move i and q to the Parameters field once you hit return or click somewheres else.

[quote=33741:@Thomas ROBISSON]Thank you.

With RealStudio, I hit TabKey to navigate between all the objects of my Windows. It was useful when the object are closed each other and small.
How can I do that with Xojo IDE ?[/quote]
Not at the moment, no. But this is a feature we really should bring back. It wasn’t intentionally dropped. It just didn’t get reimplemented in the Xojo IDE.

[quote=33741:@Thomas ROBISSON]Thank you.

In the IDE: select the window and right click somewhere on the background next to the window, in the contextual menu choose Select and there you get a menu with all controls in that window even the ones fully covered by others. In that list select the one you want and the control is marked selected in the window editor and the inspector shows all props etc.

Thank you for the Tips. I will do this until the feature will be reimplemented (and thank you to tell us it’s in the todo list).

What about Option-Shift-Mouse-Click to paste the word below the mouse at Insertion Point location ?

This existed in the first IDE, was no more there in IDE II and was re-added 5 years later.

Complete Archives in the blog is not complete enough for me to get the real name / date of re-adding of the feature (Quick Copy ?)

Yes, I miss that feature. It was very handy.

[quote=33741:@Thomas ROBISSON]With RealStudio, I hit TabKey to navigate between all the objects of my Windows. It was useful when the object are closed each other and small.
You can also just select each control in the Navigator and it will highlight the control in the Layout Editor.