Next xDev on May 8th

Not sure if it has been announced here but I just saw this on the xDev website:

Schedule Update: Because xDev will be covering the Xojo Developer’s Conference (April 29-May 1) extensively in the May/June issue, the new issue will be released on Friday, May 8th.

And a further update:

Schedule Update #2: Marc picked up a bout of the flu while traveling, so work on the new issue has been slowed. The May issue should be out during in the week of May 11th, as soon as he can get it finished.

Today’s the first day I’m finally feeling human again, so I’m back at work on the new issue. Sorry about the delay, but I hope to have it out in the next few days.

I hate those “flu med” ads that say you should go to work while still being sick (and infectious). Might make perfect business sense but that’s just perverse, especially considering that you go down harder the second time (when you didn’t cure it properly).

When you’re sick then you’re sick. Full stop.

So look after your health. It’s important.

Btw I just LOVED those nincompoops that came to work with a flu feeling all brave. Of course they infected everyone so the whole lab was down for two weeks. So the next year I read the riot act to every idiot who thought it is a good idea to come in sick …

Yeah, that’s my philosophy, Markus. Years ago I would try to work while sick and it just made the cold last 3-4 weeks and you were miserable the whole time. Now I do your “full stop” technique and usually I’m all better within a few days or a week.

I’ve concluded that one disadvantage to working from home is I don’t get exposed to many bugs. On the one hand that’s good – I’m rarely sick – but on the other, when I travel, I’m not immune to anything and it really hits me hard. If you recall, I caught something last year in Vegas, too!

amen![quote=186716:@Marc Zeedar]Yeah, that’s my philosophy, Markus. Years ago I would try to work while sick and it just made the cold last 3-4 weeks and you were miserable the whole time. Now I do your “full stop” technique and usually I’m all better within a few days or a week.

I’ve concluded that one disadvantage to working from home is I don’t get exposed to many bugs. On the one hand that’s good – I’m rarely sick – but on the other, when I travel, I’m not immune to anything and it really hits me hard. If you recall, I caught something last year in Vegas, too![/quote]

try using AirBorne (sp?) when you travel. It helps cut down on your chances of getting sick. My mother, who is a Corporate Travel Agent, swears by it. Taking it or something else that just douses your system with vitamins is a good thing.

This is becoming more of a problem with HR teams adopting the Bradford Factor. My last permanent employer tied in the Bradford Factor to appraisals/pay reviews so needless to say people were coming in to work in all kinds of a mess to avoid being penalised.

And of course HR wouldn’t listen. Led to stand up arguments in the office I can tell you.

Well, in Science most people work 60+ hours at a minimum anyway but are only paid for 38 (no overtime payment or time in lieu) so there HR can just bugger off …

Well, the Bradford Factor is an awful measure of absence and it caused so much resentment it was unreal.

Eating better food made all the difference for me (paleo). I used to pick up each and every bug. Now my last cold has been over 2 years ago. And in the office it’s like everyone gets a cold.

Healthy food, getting enough sleep and moderate exercise did the trick for me. Haven’t had to see a doctor in 3 years since I revised my lifestyle slightly.

We do not talk about low level work (slowest, under rate work) when flu comes… vs everything OK.

Funny thing of the internet: “bacilli do not travel over the Internet”
Next XDC in a virtual hotel ?

Flu isn’t caused by bacilli but by virii … and they DO travel over the Internet! :wink:

Alcohol helps against bacteria and viruses.
I’m just saying :wink:
(although I do think it’s the rubbing kind and not the drinking kind, but I consider that a minor detail)
:slight_smile: