New to Xojo in Chicago

New to Xojo. That is the understatement of the year. I am an old Superbase developer. Since Superbase is stuck in the 16bit world(please no comments on that) and mostly non existent, I chose Xojo.

Spent 20 hrs with tutorials and Google searches to get a database connected (in code) and populate a listbox. The IDE essentially has me stumped as to the coding aspect of it. Superbase was procedural with OO components. So I find myself trying to translate what I know to Xojo and it is not working out well.

My background is Windows, and Linux. Don’t have problems with SQL databases(so far). Been using SQLite and Postgres.

Is there a Chicago user group or individual(s) that I can join up with to answer these newbie questions?

Have you tried the manual yet?
It will cover a lot of questions you might have about the IDE and language.

The Language Reference breaks down items by theme and type, so you can find answers without knowing exactly what Xojo might call something. The Docs also has a search in the top right corner if you do happen to know what you’re looking for. I’m glad you tried Google as well, it’s a great tool that will more often take you to the old forums which is loaded with answers.

I don’t know about a Chicago user group, I just came by to leave some useful links :slight_smile:

Welcome to Xojo!

Yes I have read them, tried the examples, even have 3 books on the topic(old but still useful). I think it’s primarily a mental attitude. Been immersed in Superbase for so long, that a bootstrap may be in order.

If a Chicago user group wishes to form, I am pretty sure I can provide the meeting space in Buffalo Grove (northwest suburb of Chicago).

Welcome to Xojo! If you like training videos we have over 55 hours of Real Studio and Xojo training video available to subscribers at http://xojo.bkeeney.com/XojoTraining/. There is roughly 6 hours of 100% completely free video (registration required) so that might be enough to get you going on the IDE.

BKeeney Software does individual/group Xojo training but I’d recommend the videos first.

If you get a group formed (or find a group) I’d be willing to come up and speak at an event. I lived in Chicago for many years and would love to find an excuse to come back for a day or two!

Been aware of your firm and yourself for some time. How could I not. If it was possible, I would work for you for nothing just to learn, alas this is just not possible. I will check out the IDE tutorials again.

If there are any users in Chicago, I can put the forum together. Same situation with Superbase. users all over the world and no one in Chicago. Did finally have one in Chicago, Was surprised at the handful of participants.

Roland,

what I LOVE about the Xojo community is that the forums are a great place to post code you are working on and get help from other developers.

Feel free to start posting area’s you are stuck and I can think of countless members who usually respond fairly quickly :slight_smile:

There are loads of example programs that demonstrate how to use most of the features of Xojo. From the IDE, click File, New Project then choose Examples in the window that appears.

Roland,

if you have a coding (or else) problem, do not wate too much of time ans (try to) ask questions here. People will be happy to (try to) help.

[quote=134680:@Roland Bellington]New to Xojo. That is the understatement of the year. I am an old Superbase developer. Since Superbase is stuck in the 16bit world(please no comments on that) and mostly non existent, I chose Xojo.

Spent 20 hrs with tutorials and Google searches to get a database connected (in code) and populate a listbox. The IDE essentially has me stumped as to the coding aspect of it. Superbase was procedural with OO components. So I find myself trying to translate what I know to Xojo and it is not working out well.

My background is Windows, and Linux. Don’t have problems with SQL databases(so far). Been using SQLite and Postgres.

Is there a Chicago user group or individual(s) that I can join up with to answer these newbie questions?[/quote]

Yo!

Where are you at in Chicagoland? I’d be happy to try to connect with you over a cup of coffee and give you a hand.

Just North of Oak Park,River Forest. Elmwood park area

Welcome to the Xojo Party. Please ask questions.