New Framework String question

I assume that when the New Framework is fully operational and the Classic Framework is gone, there will be no String class and we’ll have to use Text instead of String at that point.

So what happens with WebListBox.AddRow? it requires a String parameter. I thought perhaps it would gracefully accept a Text parameter but it doesn’t. This fails:

Dim row() As Text row = Array("item1", "item2") WebListBox1.AddRow(row)

Is there a way to not use String to make that work?

Once again… the classic framework is going to be around for a long time…

Think of it this way… the entire IDE was written using the classic framework, so we would have to convert all of that code before we could even consider making it unavailable to end users.

Got it. I was just looking at ways to write things in the New Framework here and there, so I’ll have less to convert in the future. I thought I could start by learning to use Text instead of String whenever possible, since it’s so pervasive in my code. It looks like this is one of those things that still needs String to work. Just wanted confirmation. I know that the Classic Framework will be around for a long time.

Shouldn’t the Text auto convert to String for the method or is because it’s an array?

You can put the following method into a module – it allows to use Text arrays with Listbox.AddRow:

Sub AddRow(Extends lbx As Listbox, items() As Text) Dim arr() As String For i As Integer = 0 To items.Ubound arr.Append(items(i)) Next lbx.AddRow(arr) End

[quote=361696:@Eli Ott]You can put the following method into a module – it allows to use Text arrays with Listbox.AddRow:

Sub AddRow(Extends lbx As Listbox, items() As Text) Dim arr() As String For i As Integer = 0 To items.Ubound arr.Append(items(i)) Next lbx.AddRow(arr) End[/quote]
But that still needs the String class to work. Of course it allows me to have to use String only in that module method.

I would expect there is a future version of web framework which uses text data type for properties.

I do this to centralize the use of String in a module for the desktop projects where I want to use the new framework only as far as possible.