New framework deprecation

Hi,

I heard the news from the XDC18, that the new framework, which was introduced quite a couple of years ago will be deprecated soon.

As I mentioned before: I never was a big fan of it and used it very rarely, not to say never.

But what I very enjoyed and appreaciated was the TEXT datatype, to be more clear, the “.totext” method in nearly every other datatype. I dint feel comfortable with using “cstr(var)”.

I hope that this little but awesome feature will survive the changes Xojo is planning to make.

It would make sense that Text remained. It is the next logical step after Unicode aware string. Unless String evolves to sport the same features as the current Text. Which would be logical. After all, string has come a long way from the Apple II and early IBM-PC time, when it did not support Unicode.

You can very easily add a .toUTF8String to every data type …

Replace soon with: “sometimes in the future”, when the feature will be ready to be exposed to us.

I really like Auto, so hopefully they keep them…

Deprecated <> removed.

Can’t find such method. Where do you see it?

[quote]Can’t find such method. Where do you see it?
[/quote]

You need to roll your own like this…

Public Function ToUTF8(extends pStr as String) as string If pStr.Len > 0 Then Return ConvertEncoding (pStr, encodings.utf8) End If End Function

Read the documentation on the Extends keyword …

[quote=388346:@Lars Lehmann]Hi,

I heard the news from the XDC18, that the new framework, which was introduced quite a couple of years ago will be deprecated soon.[/quote]
Is this official? Is there a statement or reference about this that I can read somewhere?

You can read about it here: https://blog.xojo.com/2018/04/25/xdc-2018-keynote-recap-draft/
Look for “Xojo API 2.0

As I already stated, soon does not means tomorrow (who knows), but sometimes (unknow date) in the future.