New $5 Raspberry Pi "Zero" computer!

Just announced, new $5 slimmed down version of the Pi! Despite the price, it still runs the full version of Raspbian and uses an ARM11 core so I expect Xojo apps to run just fine. I should be able to confirm that later today when I get my hands on one.

So how cool is that? Even more useful in your embedded projects, this little $5 guy looks amazing!

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero/

SWEEET! I’m getting one or two of those!

Aaaand I just placed an order for two of those things :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I’ll figure out later what to use them for…

Comes for free with Magpi magazine :slight_smile:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspberry-pi-zero-out-today-get-it-free-with-the-magpi-40/

CORRECTION! This won’t run Xojo apps, it is (of course) the wrong architecture, it’s basically an over-clocked slimmed-down original Pi 1. That’s what you get for reading tech specs first thing in the morning.

Still very cool but no good for Xojo apps. I expect there will be newer versions down the line which will use the newer architecture and be Xojo app compatible. But not yet.

I saw that too.
But , I don’t have a Xojo Pi license yet so I’m still using Python on those things anyway,
Gonna replace the Pi 2 in my cat feeder for this cheaper one and use the Pi 2 for something “better” :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFFQmdUc5Vg

And it’s now Out of stock at Swag :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The most popular PI ever… in 2015. Wait this Xmas. :slight_smile:

[quote=232138:@Albin Kiland]
Gonna replace the Pi 2 in my cat feeder for this cheaper one and use the Pi 2 for something “better” ;)[/quote]
I must be doing something wrong
10 cats - no Pi enabled cat feeders - nothing but fat cats … and no mice to be seen for miles :slight_smile:

We have an automated dog feeder…
When Elvis wants his dinner, he comes into the office and barks…
and I automatically get up and feed him

Time for feature requests I guess, since Raspberry is making new ones with this architecture. Question is since Xojo uses LLVM compiler is it then huge trouble to add support for this instruction set ? As in easy enough to make it worth it to submit feature request ?

LLVM support libraries don’t all fully support the older ARM instruction sets below ARMv7. This model is really just a cheap version of the Pi 1. It is still single core, still 512 MB ram, and 5x slower than the Pi 2. It wouldn’t make for a great experience anyway.

Automatic Cat Feeder!!!
Now that seems to me like technology for the sake of technology.

It’s a significant effort to try to support anything prior to ARMv7a (we tried). I can say with a fair degree of confidence that Xojo will never target ARMv6 processors.

I guess we can still hope for CHIP when that ships to get ultra cheap machines for special deployments, they seem to have chip that is ARMv7.

Only thing that worries me is how well the GPIO and the whole thing will be supported there.

Orange PI and Banana PI have left me with a bit bad taste in the mouth, great hardware but almost zero supported software and driver wise (that goes more for Orange PI than Banana but still a bit too for Banana PI)

[quote=232187:@Norman Palardy]I must be doing something wrong
10 cats - no Pi enabled cat feeders - nothing but fat cats … and no mice to be seen for miles :)[/quote]
She needs to be fed at set intervals with the same amount of food each time, even when we’re not at home, to loose some weight :slight_smile:
It works great! She starts to know when it’s time to get food…she sits by the feeder for about 30 min prior to the feeding :wink:

Yes if you have to strictly feed them then it makes sense
Mine are almost barn cats so they get fed just to make sure they dont starve but most of their diet in the non-winter months is whatever they can catch - mice, birds and other small rodents
They do a great job and we have 0 mice despite living in the country

Makes Sense! ARMv6 is obsolete by Raspberry Pi itself. We have GUI Apps in V7! I hope the change to new 64b ARM socs won’t need a major release.

After some delays, my Raspberry Pi Zero finally arrived this morning. I knew it was small and I’ve seen a ton of photos but it really is tiny in person. So here’s another photo. At the front is one of my Pi 2’s in the official case (lid off). At the back is an SD card adaptor. Yes, it can’t run Xojo apps but I have several Pi 2’s with Xojo apps, acting as masters - I intend to use the Zeros as slaves, reporting back to the Pi 2’s. The size is ideal for this.