Nerdy Humor / Math Humor

2 Likes

In countries that use comma as decimal separator, we can write equations as

x = 4 . 2,5 (or x = 4.2,5)
x = 10

Maybe that system interpreted it as y = 0 * 25 * x ?

4y = x

1 Like

That happens in real life.

The Data Camp platform contains many of them.

1 Like

In a pub quiz, the question was ‘what type of songs are Silent Night , and O Come All Ye Faithfull?’

Our answer: Carols.
Marked as wrong because ‘the answer is Christmas Carols’
Is there another kind?

(Same quiz: Which car manufacturer makes the ‘Matrix’ ? My Answer : Hyundai.
Their answer : Suzuki.
They were not impressed by my offer to take them into the car park to look at the Hyundai Matrix I had used to drive to the pub, and refused to accept it as the right answer.)

3 Likes

Pub quiz-masters have their list of correct answers and may not be swayed.

Edit: SWMBO says Christmas carols but would have marked your answer as correct and as a practising member of trhe CofE agrees that while there are Easter Carols, no one speaks of them.

1 Like

I have a couple of friends called Carol, does that count?

3 Likes

One of my first interviews after graduation was with IBM. A question in their screening test was, “Which word does not belong: small, tiny, little, large, precise?” I answered, “Precise” and was told I was wrong. The interviewer, somewhat smugly, said that obviously large was big and the other words were small. I countered that small, tiny, little, and large were descriptions of size, and precise was a description of accuracy. He said, “But you have a tiny precise number.” I told him he could have a great big precise number too - which stopped him cold. He acknowledged that I was right but he had to mark the answer wrong anyway because it wasn’t what was in his Answer Book.

I told him if his programmers couldn’t distinguish between the size of something and the accuracy of something, IBM’s programs would suffer. And that was the end of the interview.

3 Likes

Same with those who run other contests.
I will disclaim on here that I was diagnosed with being autistic (Asperger’s) and having ADD.
I take things VERY literally.

College: screaming contest - who can scream the loudest?

I got up there on stage and screamed so loudly that Security called the police while running to stop whatever murder they were sure must have been happening … from the next building over.
A “cute couple” who whispered to each other about being frightened instead of screaming “won” the contest.

Retail store: bad singing contest - who can sing the worst?

I sing so badly (I am mostly deaf) that I can infect people and turn them off-key for about an hour… or more. So many angry people complained to store management and demanded for it to stop. The DJ running the contest told me I sing so badly that I did not even qualify for the prize of a bag of lemons.
Someone actually capable of singing “won” the “contest.”

3 Likes

Pagan Carols? Yuletide Carols?

1 Like