Need help with Windows display - Solved

Once again I have a problem with Windows (see link below).

This screenshot is of a ContainerControl I have in a Window.The control comprises everything inside the border (including the border). It was working, that is there was no white around the black type on top of the red rectangle. But due to a design change, I had to shift the position of the ContainerControl on the Window. Once I move the Project to Windows, I got this result.

Windows 7.1 is running in a Parallels Desktop VM, if that makes any difference.

Any suggestions as to what I might be able to do to remove the white “drop shadow”.

pdf screenshot

I have put the ContainerControl back in its old position on the Window, and it works again - ie the white drop shadow has disappeared. I may not have worried about it if there was only the large number - but it made the smaller type almost illegible.

Actually, this is an interesting effect that up until now could be obtained only by drawing the text in white, then draw the grey one to the left and up by a pixel or two.

Are you drawing in the paint event of the ContainerControl or some other way ?

[quote=203678:@Michel Bujardet]Actually, this is an interesting effect that up until now could be obtained only by drawing the text in white, then draw the grey one to the left and up by a pixel or two.

Are you drawing in the paint event of the ContainerControl or some other way ?[/quote]

This project started a couple of years ago when I got back into Xojo (REALBasic) after a few years absence, so I didn’t even thing of drawing in a canvas. The red area is a Rectangle filled with the colour red. The big number and the club name are both labels (so that I can set transparency). Perhaps I might relook at doing it with a Canvas.

After a working life spent in the graphic design world, it is interesting that usually, the means of getting a drop shadow is the same as you described above, until more modern version of InDesign, etc gave getter methods.

[quote=203836:@Cliff Strange]This project started a couple of years ago when I got back into Xojo (REALBasic) after a few years absence, so I didn’t even thing of drawing in a canvas. The red area is a Rectangle filled with the colour red. The big number and the club name are both labels (so that I can set transparency). Perhaps I might relook at doing it with a Canvas.

After a working life spent in the graphic design world, it is interesting that usually, the means of getting a drop shadow is the same as you described above, until more modern version of InDesign, etc gave getter methods.[/quote]

Actually labels have a great advantage, it is that fonts can have a better resolution than a canvas. So if it works for you, no need to modify the project.