need help with ensuring something is locked

HI Guys,
I have an app which uses threads AND TCPsockets and methods.
All of these can read and write to a listbox

I have tried several ways to lock the listbox while it is being updated by a EasyTCPsocket so the methods and Threads cant use it.

Does anyone have a absolute bullet proof- no getting around it- written in stone - solution?

something like this

in the TCPsocket.dataavailable event
lock(true)
process lines
lock(false)

which would stop this
method A
lock(true) <- this will stop untill the above in “unlocked”
process lines
lock(false)

I am currently looking at CriticalSection however it mentions a lot about threads beut nothing about TCPsockets.

All help appreciated.
I can test it myself however it will take a few hours to re-code the program so hoping for a “YES it will work” or “wasting your time - try this”

thanks
Damon

Disable and enable…
listbox1.Enabled=False or true
listbox

tried that however it leads to failures

there are a few dozen timers, tcpsockets etc all looking to update the listbox at the same time

this doesnt work

if listbox1.enabled = true then
listbox1.enabled = false

in that fraction of a second between line 1 returning true and executing lines 2- more than one will get access to the listbox.

I know it sounds crazy but it happens very very often.
about once even 3 minutes,

thanks
damon

Maybe a global timer to check if thread or the specific timers is running and add there the listbox.enable.
Or enumerator with running and complete and then execute the enable disable?
And i thing is on TCPsocket.datacomplete No dataavailable event.
For me work perfect when i use shell’s.

I would try something like this -

• Have a window- or global-level string variable, or a bunch of them as queues for multiple incoming data
  • In dataavailable, just append to this/these, no locking or anything
  • Have a timer in which you at first copy off to another string what you want of the received data ( assuming more to come) queue by queue
  • In the timer do the locking, updating, and unlocking ( enabled ).

I don’t think you should use a Listbox as data store. It’s just Just to display data.
SQLite transactions would be a lot better suited for this. If something else is writing, the rest waits until it’s done. (But it still depends on what you’re doing and how.)

In your ListBox solution, if you make ‘Lock’ a global property, you’re getting close but you can still get race conditions.

Hi Loannis,

timer is interesting.
if i maintained an array of “entrys” requiring access and then release the listbox to the top most entry

wait - how does the TCPsocket “wait” untill it is there turn?

will think more

Uh, no. That is not possible in Xojo, unless you are calling DoEvents somewhere, which is a bad thing indeed. Xojo is single-core, cooperative thread. What you describe is not possible unless you are doing something wrong.

I dont know if you update or add rows,but if you add rows one more solution is to count the rows,with listcount?

if listbox1.listcount >100 then add your code here end if
If your RowTag is free put there a true, when the row is free or false when the row is on write!!
All is just ideas to think :slight_smile:

Hi Peter,
nice addition to the above.

the reason i am using the listbox is that it holds 8 columns of data which I use .

similar to this

lock(true)
use row 14 to process the data - each value in the row is used depending on if it is a tcp to method or timer.
lock(false)

if the lock doesn’t work then the other one which slips through processes the data on lines 17
once row 14 finished row 14 is deleted
so row 17 is now row 16 but row 17 is deleted and (to make it worse) row 16 (old row 17) is processed a second time.

Hi Tim,

lots of respect for you , big fan for a long time

with TCP sockets it isnt hasnt proven to be true.
I will check all my code.
thanks
damon

[quote=257392:@damon pillinger]HI Guys,
I have an app which uses threads AND TCPsockets and methods.
All of these can read and write to a listbox

I have tried several ways to lock the listbox while it is being updated by a EasyTCPsocket so the methods and Threads cant use it.[/quote]

The simplest way I can think of is to use a CanModify as Boolean.

When a thread or socket wants to write, it checks if CanModify is true, sets it false, proceeds, and then set it back to true.

The inconvenient is that you need to wait until it is true again in each socket or thread.

The other method is to use a queue (array) of modifications to do that will be executed until it is empty. So it takes no time. But that means creating a language of instructions in order to update your ListBox. I shall think something like Cell row, column is fairly easy to parse and would suffice. Then each method/socket event/thread only updates the queue which takes no time, and a single method updates the ListBox line by line and removes it whenever the queue is not empty.

I think a complete redesign of your Framework is needed and i would go the SQLite Database way. Read/Write your Data into a SQLite Database. Queue Up the writing so that 2 Threads/Timers will never write at the same time and display in more or less regular intervals your ListBox by reading the current Information from the SQLite Database.

This way you can much faster and more reliable read/write the Data and make the ListBox independent just displaying the Data.

+1 for Sascha. The less timers/threads you have the better.

Bugs with a setup like yours are totally suboptimal to track and fix. I’ve got an easier situation and still there is a bug that has eluded me so far.

[quote=257410:@damon pillinger]if the lock doesn’t work then the other one which slips through processes the data on lines 17
once row 14 finished row 14 is deleted
so row 17 is now row 16 but row 17 is deleted and (to make it worse) row 16 (old row 17) is processed a second time.[/quote]

This looks like a recipe for disaster. You may want to uncouple data and presentation.

No need to Queue the writing. SQLite is transactional/acid compliant.
The build-in locking mechanism handles that. The driver (should) handle(s) the waiting for the lock to become free.