My Xojo Wish List for 2018

Norm blogged about multi-core today. https://blog.xojo.com/2018/01/25/supporting-multiple-cores/

Who is Norm? Is that someone who posts here? The name sounds vaguely familiar… :wink:

Good article. Basically advising that console helper apps is still the best way to proceed.

I am still looking for some innovation in this area to make working with multiple helper apps faster and easier to use.

Having a special type of thread that would be compiled into its own preemptive thread app along with the main project is a great idea for projects that need to process tons of requests.

Imagine calling a method with the normal Xojo parameters that would return a value that would run in another process while the main app patiently waits for the result. It’d be fine to not refer to properties in the main app since that’s the case in helper apps anyway…

That’d make my life easier.

I hope we’ve made FR for all of those :wink:

This one is ranked #4, added in 2009. <https://xojo.com/issue/9515>

And it may stay there for a little bit longer :wink:

I have only one whish: be able to earn money from my work. But after 20 years, I do not think I will live enough time for this to come.

?

We do a lot of Xojo software consulting and product development and been successful with it. Perhaps I do not understand the context of what you mean.

My target is certainly far different from the “masses”.

[quote=370934:@Phillip Zedalis]?

We do a lot of Xojo software consulting and product development and been successful with it. Perhaps I do not understand the context of what you mean.[/quote]
As do we. We have multiple developers who do nothing but Xojo consulting work. 17 years and counting…

Happy to say I’m making money from mine. Thank you Xojo!

Then you probably wouldn’t be making money from it if you were using any other tool.
Not sure if we can add ‘and let me make money next year’ to a Xojo wish list.
:slight_smile:

[quote=370562:@Kem Tekinay]My wish list at the moment includes just one thing: fix the 64-bit currency issue. We can’t move our server app to 64-bit until this happens, and we really, really want to do that.

(In 64-bit, 1.02 = 1.99 when both are defined as currency. You can see the problem in the XojoUnit project as it is now included as a test.)[/quote]

Indeed, a hell of a bug! And since 9 months ( https://xojo.com/issue/47822 ). I did not see. Fortunately I did not go in 64 bits, it could have been catastrophic for my customers.

I just added points on this Feedback. @Kem, maybe it would be useful to write an article on this topic on the forum. Many are not aware of this problem I think, while this is a potentially important problem.

How do you guys prospect for new business?
Where do your best leads originate from?

[quote=371513:@Steve Wilson]How do you guys prospect for new business?
Where do your best leads originate from?[/quote]
Getting a Pro license gets you access to the Find a Developer postings. I survived on those for many years. Now, a good chunk of our work comes to us. Hanging around for 15+ years, answering questions, doing training, speaking at XDC’s, writing Xojo Dev magazine articles, blogging, and providing development tools is a good way of establishing a name for yourself.

The trick is landing the client and figuring out if they’re worth sticking with long-term. Thankfully, nearly all of our clients have been around for many years and come back again and again for updates and/or new products.