My Laptop - Take 2

Some may remember I had a Hard Drive failure a few months ago - replaced with a new SSD.

Working today and I see this -

Repaired the disk and I’m being told by Disk Utility that all is OK. I’ve been doing a lot of disk activity over the last few days though…

Should I be worried?

Lets try that again - ]

And a link to the picture for better viewing!

when did u get the laptop?? is it a macbook air from last year??

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1690?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Late 2011 MBP.

I had something similar happen to the SSD in my Mac Pro last month. Disk Utility couldn’t fix it, but Disk Warrior had no problems repairing things. No problems since.

mine macbook air is 2012 one but i already do the checking and my machine is ok…

I’m being told that it’s recovered but after the fun and games a couple of months ago I can’t help be concerned. And Mac’s seem so expensive…

Are you running Time Machine backups? If so, then you’d have hourly backups. Highly recommended.
I also do regular SuperDuper backups to a different drive just to be safe, too.

Yep - fully covered on the backup front. Cheers Michael.

I also had a SSD failure on my server (Mac Mini) a few weeks ago. All was repaired without loss of data, but it does leave me wondering about the reliability of SSDs.

See that’s the thing - is it an SSD problem, is it just having a funny 5 minutes or is it something a bit more sinister with the logic board.

At the end of october 2012 I also had an SSD crash. It was a nearly one year old OCZ SSD which crashed without any warning.

I replaced the OCZ SSD with an Intel one which was much more expensive and a little bit slower but seems to be much more reliable.

A very important rule to remember : never ever defrag an SSD. Doing that will limit your SSD’s life severely. Also when possible use your SSD for your operating system only, but in a laptop that is impossible when you cannot insert a second harddrive. My laptop has only place for one harddrive, so I am using the SSD also for my documents and projects.

This Fujitsu Siemens Esprmo Mobile 9510D laptop I use since early 2009 is used heavily in very extreme environmental conditions. To give you an idea, this is the third keyboard and the second battery I use.

Based on my experience, an SSD is much more reliable than a hard disk, especially in harsh environments. But like always, a regular backup on an external disk or service is very important for those moments things go wrong.

Maybe you should also take a closer look to your RAM memory, which can cause very random weird behaviour, letting even people believe the logic board is faulty or damaged.

Thanks Chris

I’ve just started a hardware diagnostic test that’s built in. It’s supposed to be pretty thorough, it’ll take about an hour so hopefully it’ll go well and I can get some confidence back!

( [ alt][D] on a reboot )

My SSD experience:
4 OCZ Vertexes : one died abruptly
2 OWCs : one died abruptly
1 Intel : 0 died
1 Samsung : 0 died

Too small to be any sort of statistical sample, although the conclusion that “SSDs can die, and die without warning” is how I’m treating things for now.

Patrick Delaney,

Thank you for your reply. I hope you will solve your problem without to much costs.

I repair a lot of laptops and computers. A few months ago I repaired a Samsung laptop where the conclusion of the shop who sold it was that the logic board was damaged beyond repair. It took me less than 15 minutes to find the cause and repair it. Just the ram module inside was damaged. The cases a motherboard (logic board) was damaged where very rare. In fact I had two, one was a lightning strike, the other they put the intake ventilation side before an electrical heater which was working full speed. You can imagine the result.

Apple delivers quality which has its price. It should surprise me if your logic board should be damaged. Maybe because your laptop is less than 2 years, you still can use your warranty in case of any damage?

Anyway I hope your problem is already solved by the time you read this.

Michael Diehr,

About the OCZ vertexes, I can confirm your experience. However an expert told me a few weeks ago that the crashing problem was related to the Vertex series. It seems OCZ fixed the problem in their new series.

According to the same expert, he said Intel and Samsung where delivering better quality.

I fully agree with your conclusion. A good regular backup is a must. The SSD crash I experienced did not and will not keep me from using SSD’s because they are lightning fast.

Wish you both a very nice day and all the best.

Chris

Clean bill of health reported thankfully…

BACKUP, BACKUP & BACKUP - is all I can say. SSDs are meant to be more reliable than spinning disks, but it’s not the case. While I’ve only had a SSD for less than a year, plenty of my friends have had SSDs fail at any time.

You can try starting up from single user mode to repair the disk, sometimes it says it failed the first time, but will do it the second time.

I feel your pain, my 2009 MBP had to have a replacement HDD every year (thankfully for APP), because Toshiba made a terrible product, eventually a different model and it’s all good (touch wood).

Both my wife’s and my own external HDD died within weeks of each other and only weeks out of warranty, cracked the cases to find Samsung drives inside - so I’m even more nervous that the SSD inside my rMBP is made by Samsung, I’ve never had a Samsung product last much longer than the warranty.

I’ve been reading this thread with interest as about 10 months ago, I put a 512 GB SSD in my main work machine, a Max Pro. It has been terrific, with no problems so far. But based on this thread, I’m glad I’m making a nightly SuperDuper! bootable clone onto what used to be the boot volume :slight_smile:

Glad you got your machine sorted, Patrick.

Glad that your laptop works fine again, Patrick.

I think the cheaper SSD models are more crash sensitive than the more expensive ones. My OCZ SSD also came cheap and at that time it seemed to be a very good bargain.

The Intel SSD I am using now for one year was much more expensive, in fact very expensive for a 240GB SSD. However some weird behaviour of the laptop under the OCZ SSD is gone. For example, sometimes the laptop did not went out of sleeping mode, then I had to remove the battery and the power to get it working again. I remember just before the crash I was running Super Antivirus when the laptop whent in sleep mode and I could not get it out. I took the power off, restarted and started Super Antivirus again. Suddenly it went back in sleepmode, to never wake up again. At that time the SSD crashed.

When I look back, I think it is very important to shut down your computer properly. I also think that all those times the laptop did not went out of sleep mode, where a warning something was wrong from the very beginning.

I am running Advanced System Care to do the maintenance of this laptop, of which I am very satisfied (both laptop and ASC). But it also mislead the user with its performance monitor. When there is an unhappy symbol at the performance monitor, it change to happy again when you just open the ASC toolkit and close it again without any action. However for the rest it does an excellent job and by keeping your OS in good shape, so reducing crashes, it contributes to the health of your SSD too.

About Samsung, I do not have any bad experience while I hear from other people they have. I find Medion rubbish because I have to repair many and the components they use are cheap and not good quality. Others tell me they are very satisfied about their Medion. I think with those cheap brands, you have to be lucky.

I am very glad the problems are fixed and I really do hope this thread will also inform people about the risks of an SSD. But keep in mind a very good bump or a powerspike can also damage an HDD. Also HDD die silently. It is not a reason not to choose for an SSD but as always take your precautions, make a regular backup on an external medium.

Wish you all a very nice day.

Chris