My idea of a more complete IDE experience.

The Toolbar: As it stands, the toolbar is useful, however not up to “standards”. Request: Rearrange and add items.
From Left to Right: [Play, Stop, Build, Publish, Insert] [Flexible Space] [Xcode Like Status Bar (build and run progress)] [Flexible Space][Help and then Buy Xojo] The “Build” button would check ALL code files for bugs and warnings. The Publish button would replace the current action of the build button.

Methods: Methods are great. But not when you have to manage multiple methods. The ideal solution would be to have a mail.app like interface when the thread has multiple messages. For example, view this image and the “view” I’m trying to suggest is the #11 (The scroll view). When a method is selected from the method list, the selected method view is selected.

Properties: Same as methods.
Structure: doesn’t need to be change. However, an auto-complete list that displays the available types is recommended.

The Form Designer: Instead of using a canvas, which I’m assuming that it does, replace it with OpenGL, or another graphics system. The benefits of using OpenGL, is that Xojo could enable the previewing of the form with another operating system’s controls. Another benefit is that instead of eating RAM, the designer would start eating Video RAM, leaving more RAM for the IDE itself.

The Code Editor: My god lose the canvas! A code editor does not need to be a canvas. I would also like to additions to complete the auto-complete. For example, pressing space or period should allow you to complete the highlighted suggestion. (Like Visual Studio) The auto-complete also shouldn’t start suggesting items when typing during a quote. A final request for the code editor is: REFACTORING. When changing the name of a method, control, property, etc, ask if the user wants to change all instances of said method, control, property, etc.

Open Source the Xojo Framework, but not the toolkit itself. By open sourcing the framework, Xojo would enable users to contribute methods, code, etc to the framework. For an example, Stencyl has open-sourced their engine.

Finally: More basic controls such as a Calendar control. Also rename some controls to be more similar. Like rename “TextField” to “TextBox”, and “TextArea” to “RichTextBox”, etc.

That sounds like an awesome idea! It would be a great way to implement this FR: <https://xojo.com/issue/7173>

[quote=41065:@Shane Gibbs]Open Source the Xojo Framework, but not the toolkit itself. By open sourcing the framework, Xojo would enable users to contribute methods, code, etc to the framework. For an example, Stencyl has open-sourced their engine.
[/quote]

As you are most certainly aware, Xojo already has several avenues through which users of varying capabilities can develop methods, code, etc. that augment the framework. There is a small but robust market for these extensions, with a wide range of prices and licensing terms. It would be helpful to understand what advantages you think “open source the Xojo framework” would have over the model of extensibility that is already in place and that has been supported by many of the Xojo community’s long term shining lights.

That it would :). Also by using a mail.app multiple messages like layout, Xojo could indeed keep the current system of creating methods. Only how they’re displayed would change. Would also be good if you could “minimize” each method. Kinda like how some forum software allows you to collapse categories.

Then maybe provide a sort of Plugin SDK template in Xojo itself for easy plugin creation?

Yes this was exactly my first thought Shane… open the 3rd party extension market…
There’s basically no documentation nor example how to writing plugins or I am missing something?

Hello Shane,

Your idea sounds very good to me, except opening the framework for open source. As mentioned here before, there are better ways to extend Xojo than making the framework open source.

Every time someone suggest making the framework or Xojo Open Source, I wonder if those people realise what is necessary to make even the smallest change.

For plugin creation, Monkeybread software does a great job and has plugins for almost everything. Their customer service is excellent and easy to contact. They deliver “German” quality.

When people can make their own plugins and sell them, I am afraid there will be a lot of crap around. It is better to have fewer people who know their stuff who serve the community.

I want to make clear that I do not work for Monkeybread or have any advantage. I just support a fellow European citizen (company), which delivers good solutions for many of us. It is just my personal view I am sharing.

My problem with Plugins is that everybody uses different approaches.

Einhugur, Leroy, Monkeybread and more. They are all kinda encrypted or need registration and sometimes I even cant just Click and Drag from Library because they have to be copied away from another Project and pasted into mine. So in conclusion the Xojo’s plugin Universe is not as straight as it could or should be. This does not mean that the plugins are poor. No they are all great and closing the gaps of Xojo (otherwise I wouldn’t use them so lot).

What about an Plugin Store integrated into Xojo? Kinda your Cloud Hosting Project? So you could open plugin creation but maintaining certain levels of quality.

[quote=41131:@Tomas Jakobs]There’s basically no documentation nor example how to writing plugins or I am missing something?
[/quote]

You’re missing at least two things. There is a “Plugins SDK” in the Xojo “Extras” folder. And you’re missing that you don’t always have to write a plugin to extend the framework or fix some bugs, Recently discussed edge cases in the Date class come to mind. I have a few workarounds and extensions that I share as part as my free and paid offerings that are delivered as Xojo code.

[quote=41156:@Tomas Jakobs]My problem with Plugins is that everybody uses different approaches.
[/quote]

Choice is brutal, eh?

[quote=41130:@Shane Gibbs]Then maybe provide a sort of Plugin SDK template in Xojo itself for easy plugin creation?
[/quote]

If you find plugin creation difficult, you’re gonna love open source Xojo frameworks! Or put another way, the small sub-universe of people who can create plugins today are gonna be exactly the same people who have any hope of doing anything with open source Xojo frameworks. Most of these people are getting paid, one way or another, for their efforts. Any semi-serious recommendation to “open source” the Xojo frameworks needs to address this. Or it doesn’t even qualify as semi-serious.