MS will not evolve Visual Basic

:slight_smile:

Funny how so many languages come into fad these days and leave but most of them had C to thank :slight_smile:

vb .net is better readable than c#.net.
the problem is still the word ā€œbasicā€.
what you can do with c# is also possible in vb .net
because the framework is the same.
vb6 was not perfect but at all great and 2003 MS broke it.

The underlying code in VB.NET and C#.NET is the same, they use the same compiler I believe (Rosetta?). However, VB.NET is much more readable and has several shortcuts and niceties that (at my last time looking) had yet to make it into C#.

I thought they named the compiler infrastructure Roslyn

Right. I knew it was something like that! Rosetta was the OS9 ā†’ 10 kludge, right?

Yes, it was.

Yawn. Yet another ā€œcross-platformā€ solution without a GUI editor. The issue isnā€™t that we donā€™t want to learn a new language, itā€™s that thereā€™s only 1 functional cross-platform IDE with a GUI editor.

Rosetta was the PPC emulator used during the Intel transition. The 9>X ā€œkludgeā€ was Carbon. :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll second that. Learning a language is easy. I learned Ruby and C# each in about two weeks. The GUI is what really makes a development tool though. It took me over half a year to really master WPF.

Ehā€¦thatĀ’s not exactly true. Lazarus is a very functional cross-platform IDE with a very robust GUI editor. Granted, it is pascal which isnĀ’t most peopleĀ’s first choice for a language but having re-written several of my C# applications in free-pascal on my Mac using Lazarus I can tell you that the extensibility of that GUI editor rivals MicrosoftĀ’s VS GUI editor and surpasses most others. It has its quirks for sure but it definitely fits the bill for Ā“functional cross-platform with a GUI editorĀ”

I gave up on lazarus (as I think Bob did)
never installed correctly
and really never worked at all
despite MANY attempts

there is another VB Clone esp in Linux enviroments: Gambas
IMHO: Good for learning how to develop, but not suitable for professional software developing

I tried very hard to get Lazarus to work. It was a mess, never got it to work, so I moved on. Pascal was no big deal as I grew up on TurboPascal.
I guess I do have to concede though that it is an IDE, it is cross-platform and it probably can create GUIs.

Visual Basic is not dead:

ā€œOf course Mercury will also integrate into Visual StudioĀ™ 2017 or 2019.ā€

We too could use a dead language!

[quote=479347:@Norman Palardy]I gave up on lazarus (as I think Bob did)
never installed correctly
and really never worked at all
despite MANY attempts[/quote]

Yes the same hereā€¦ I started out in college with Turbo Pascal 4.0 and then professionally with TP, TPW and finally with Delphi up to version 7. So the motivation was there, but I just couldnĀ’t get it all up and running.

[quote=479457:@Marc van Breemen]Visual Basic is not dead:

ā€œOf course Mercury will also integrate into Visual StudioĀ™ 2017 or 2019.ā€[/quote]

[quote]ā€œMercuryā€
Codename ā€œMercuryā€ is a BASIC language implementation that is backwards code-compatible with Microsoft Visual Basic.NETĀ™
[/quote]
It might as well be APL for a lot of VBers who really want VB6 not VB.Net

Mostly the same
The spirit was willing but ā€¦

Embarcadero offers a RAD for Windows, Mac OS, iOS and Android. The languages are Delphi and C++.
I didnā€™t checked it out, but i know several companies in Germany that use it for their professional standard software (ERP, Finance etc.).

very expensive licenses ā€¦ for client/server it need Enterprise edition.
in advertising it can all. rapid development is not true.