MS Equivalent of MAS

What is the Microsoft equivalent of the Mac App Store for desktop apps. While I ask is there a linux equivalent?

See https://forum.xojo.com/14657-convert-my-app-to-windows-questions?search=onboarding

For Linux, see https://forum.xojo.com/11119-ubuntu-software-center

[quote=148000:@Michel Bujardet]See https://forum.xojo.com/14657-convert-my-app-to-windows-questions?search=onboarding

For Linux, see https://forum.xojo.com/11119-ubuntu-software-center[/quote]

Thanks Michel. Sounds a bit tricker than MAS and a lot more expensive. What is the commission rate per sale?

Same as the MAS. I do not have desktop apps in the Windows store, but a half dozen new API native Windows 8 apps. They sell about ten times less than their counterpart in the MAS. I have no idea of the desktop potential, but since the Windows Store is only available on Windows 8 and up, it is probably much higher.

The Windows market is essentially based on the try-before-you-buy model, CNet and a few others trusting the free download market.

I think it is going a bit that way with MAS though with the ‘lite’ version of apps. I’m all for it to be honest, I like try-before-you-buy simply because I have made some purchases on the MAS without trying out and they have been utter shit.

The Jan/2014 Steam Survey about PC hardware (Windows/Linux) found the following market share:

Win 7 64bit = 52.76%
Win 8/8.1 64bit = 19.84%
Win 7 32bit = 13.08%
Linux + older windows = 14.32%

Win 8 wasn’t successful, so their app store. Win 10 will try to fix this. 64bit software IS highly recommended in 2015.

Last week I requested a refund and all it took in Apple support was a click on a button.

As a developer, Try before you buy is a catastrophe. It creates users who perceive the price of the product as zero. It is never easy to then justify your asking price.

[quote=148026:@Rick Araujo]Win 7 64bit = 52.76%
Win 8/8.1 64bit = 19.84%
Win 7 32bit = 13.08%[/quote]

Interesting statistics. They corroborate what I was intuitively suspecting : Windows 8 never really took off. The mere fact that the Windows Store does not exist for Windows 7 and that desktop apps are relegated to the onboarding program shows the utter stupidity of Microsoft marketing.

Windows 10 is a lot more desktop friendly, but the Windows Store remains new API oriented, and continues to discriminate against desktop apps.

BTW, I have installed Windows 10 Tech Preview on my production machine, and it is working a charm. The most amazing thing is the 30 seconds boot.

I couldn’t disagree more. Shareware, demoware, whatever you call it is a boon to small devs such as myself allowing potential users to ‘discover’ my app with no risk to me or the user. Granted, the conversion rate from demo to buyer is quite small, but I firmly believe that most of these users would never have risked $24.95 for a product from an unknown developer without the ability to try it first. I hesitate to buy from the MAS simply because of the inability to try the app first.

Is it called WAS? Windows App Store?

I cant say either way without seeing statistics on the matter but I have to agree with Roger from a consumers point of view.

I would suggest they only perceive this if it is junk and worth not a lot anyway. I have tried software and thought, yes, this is what I need and it is worth every penny of its £24.99 ($50) I will now buy the full version. If a consumer is trying and not buying then I would suggest the software is not worth what it is being retailed at or it is not doing what users are expecting.

If you are not willing to showcase a try before you buy software then there is something you are hiding, I would suggest, software that is not up to much. If you were selling a car on eBay and you said to a potential customer, sorry you cant see it before you buy it but don’t worry it is worth £5000, I suspect they would run a mile and no doubt you would be doing this because you knew it had no engine and had to be pedalled along.

Try before you buy should be an opportunity to showcase and show off your software, if you daren’t then the price wants reducing because its not worth what you are trying to sell it for. Even Xojo itself is a try before you buy model to some extent. Dash document and snippet manager, try before you buy with a nag, I used it with the nag for 2 months, realised the nag got on my nerves and I used it so much (daily) that it was well worth £14, in fact I would say its value is higher than that having been given the chance to trial it.

I always try out software before I bought it. When I cannot trial an application, I stay away from it.

Last year May I bought a child-drawing application for our little one. There was no trial available so I paid, installed the application to find out that it was not working. The licence key I LEGALLY received was not accepted. The company was based in Norway, claiming excellent customer care.

After many emails, I never received any reply from that excellent customer care company in Norway. Finally it took me a PayPall dispute to get my money back.

After that I downloaded KidPix 3D Deluxe made by a company in Russia. PC and Mac versions available. Worked like a charm. Result, I bought a KidPix 3D Deluxe licence and our youngest is very happy with it, only mama get it sometimes on her nerves because the sounds and noises it make. Turning the sounds off is not an option because for some unknown reasons, it is less than half the fun for our small creative daughter.

When developers are not providing trial versions, they are not sure about their own creations or they trying to hide something. That counts for all type of developers. There are cracks enough available to use software without paying for it. Providing a trial version of your software will increase your sales when it does exactly what you claim it to do. Try before you buy is indeed very challenging but also very profitable for the developer because when the prospecting person buy it means your application forfill their needs.

Without a trial version, I do not even take a look at the software. It is the first thing I look for, a trial version. When that is not available, I look elsewhere. Simple like that.

Am I missing something here, but when trying out trial versions, you always know the price how much it costs to buy it after the trial period. I really do not see based on my experiences, the use of bargaining with the developer.

There are possibly “wrong” customers too, but I think they are a minority. Anyway as stated in my post above, they will use cracks to use your software. This is the kind of user who never will pay even the smallest amount for your software.

On the other side, a developer has also accept the fact that users with problems will contact them and they have to solve the reported problem or difficulty. This kind of customer care will bind your users to your software.

I can give several examples like the one above where in fact a problem or difficulty lead to an extra license after the efforts the developer made to solve it.

A month ago there was an update of Agama Webbuttons. Because I have a lifetime license I could made the update freely. So I did, found out that my license was not working Contacted the company and received a new license key which was working. Result; next week when I am in Botswana again, I buy a second license for another computer there.

I keep repeating it, excellent customer care and technical support is your key selling factor. Without it the best application will fail sooner or later.

Work for your customers, users and you work for your own application.

Chris, with respect, you may have misread my post

I persist : for a lot of people, shareware or try before you buy equates free software. We are all here a peculiar crowd far more educated than the vulgum. So it makes sense that we buy if the software is what we look for.

Just go to some forums and see how many people look for cracks, and you will realize the extent of the damage. See how many people ask for cracks. Go to kiskass.to and see what happens to the registered products.

I have been selling shareware since 1987. So pardon me, but I have ample experience about that marketing method. When I started, there was much less people on that market, and the new Association of Shareware Professionals become Software Professionals asp-software.com had to explain to the public already that because it was available for free , it was not inferior.

Today there are zillions of shareware programs competing for the customer’s attention, and the perceived value for “free download” programs is zilch. Nada. Not worth a penny. It is almost as if asking to register was preposterous.

The MAS is a blatant example of why the pay-upfront-refund-if-not-satisfied is far, far more profitable. Whatever the sacred principles, I don’t care. I am still a proud member of ASP and have not renounced try-before-you-buy, but the hard fact is, I do at least twenty times more business with the MAS than all my TRBYB software, Windows and Mac combined.

But heck, what should I know after being in that business for only close to 30 years ?

Thats told us @Roger Clary , what do we know.

You should know YOUR experience. This is not necessarily fact nor the experience of everyone, even if you have spent 30 years having that experience. Myself and 2 other people on this thread like to use trial software before we buy the real thing, you think it is a developers nightmare. I would say in this small arena that is 75% for and 25% against.

[quote=148315:@Mike Charlesworth]Thats told us @Roger Clary , what do we know.
You should know YOUR experience. This is not necessarily fact nor the experience of everyone, even if you have spent 30 years having that experience. Myself and 2 other people on this thread like to use trial software before we buy the real thing, you think it is a developers nightmare. I would say in this small arena that is 75% for and 25% against.[/quote]

Stop being dogmatic. I shared my experience. It is not an insult is it ?

This is not a show of hands in the perspective of a referendum. This is a discussion amongst people who like to sell software and possibly share valuable information. Now, you do as you please and nothing forces you to think one way or the other.

You started the thread by asking about the Windows Store. I shared what I know and in the process made a comment, based on my extensive experience with both upfront and shareware. I did not say abandon trialware over MAS, I just said the perceived price was an issue.

You know better already, so it is no point to waste anymore time sharing information about marketing.

Michel, you are easily aggravated these days. This is as you say a discussion, do not take things too seriously or to heart.

I appreciate your input, I also like a healthy debate.