Moving to Xcode 10. Drop 32-bit and/or MacOS 10.8 support?

We are trying to move to Xcode 10.

This may involve dropping 32-bit for some things as Xcode 10 doesn’t support 32-bit any more. And it may be we could drop 32-bit as target and just make new plugins to be 64-bit only.

Next we may make MacOS 10.9 the minimum, which would drop a few older Xojo versions. What minimum would you like to have?

Of course just going with 10.10 or 10.11 as minimum could simplify coding for us.

Do not drop 32 bit yet please.

32bit is dead. Removing support for 10.10 and 10.11 is also okay going forward.

We still have a productive 32Bit Version of our macOS applications (used for customers with OS X 10.7 - 10.9 → and yes, it’s old, but still being used often so that it’s worth for us supporting these).
The productive macOS 64Bit Version of our applications are for our customers with 10.9 and newer.

So it would be good (for us) to still have 32Bit support.
For 32-Bit, we need to support 10.7+
For 64-Bit, we need to support 10.9+

Looks like command line compiler in Xcode 10 still does 32-bit?

I am battling with same issue, upgrading to Mojave killed the Xcode I used to build, Apple really does not make it easy to support something backwards.

move to 10.9 is for stdc++ where Xcode is bugging me for a long time.

Seems like clang from Xcode 10 builds 32-bit in command line with SDK from Xcode 9.4.

I have been building with 7.3 I think it was. Carbon will definitely be dropped now. 7.3 just crashes on launch.

Push is really to 10.9 like Christian says, also to reduce chances of App Store problems.

i still need the 32bit for my windows applications. i already move to 64bit for my mac application.

Same here. 32 bit for Windows is still more common. For Mac OS I’d say 10.11 and upwards is OK, since I have an iMac still on 10.11 and my experience from app stats is that there’re still tons of those around

the reason i still stay with 32bit is when xojo generate the 64bit, you need to include all the other files that has to be in the same folder as the program file making the folder very messy.

[quote=407588:@Jürg Otter]We still have a productive 32Bit Version of our macOS applications (used for customers with OS X 10.7 - 10.9 -> and yes, it’s old, but still being used often so that it’s worth for us supporting these).
The productive macOS 64Bit Version of our applications are for our customers with 10.9 and newer.[/quote]

You can run 64bit versions on MacOS since 10.4 Tiger.

Xojo supports 64bit since 2015R3, and even 2017R1 supports Lion.

So why no 64bit app for your 10.7-10.9 users?

We support back to 10.9. Our current OS X builds are all 64 bit.

Because some 64 Bit issues have been fixed only in newer Xojo Versions, which no longer support 10.7 :wink:

Right - and Microsoft even recommends to put a 32 Bit app in Microsoft Store (in order to reach more potential customers).
So on Windows, 64 Bit is really only required if the app needs it (more than 2-3GB of memory). 32Bit will be there for a long time to come.

I still have many 32 bit Windows apps in production. For Mac a 10.10 minimum wouldn’t make a difference to me.

Actually, we only support back to 10.10. Considering moving that up to 10.11 or 10.12 - probably not until middle of next year.

Command line compiler in Xcode 10 does 32-bit, so no big hassle there.
Minimum is set to 10.9 for the future, so we now link to the LLVM c++ library instead of the older gnu one.

MBS Xojo Plugins 18.5 and future will now have the 10.9 as minimum for both 32-bit and 64-bit.

If you need MacOS 10.6/10.7/10.8 compatibility, please use 18.4 plugins.