Moving from Windows XP

Hi all,

I read the blog entry named “Moving from Windows XP”. The entry let the reader believe other persons are reluctant to leave Windows XP. I do not know why they want to stay with XP, but here’s my reason why I stay with it:

I do not have any state of soul to leave Windows XP, I just do not have money to buy an upgrade (8.1) box.

The price here (including taxes) for “Standard Windows 8.1”, is above two years of Xojo Desktop Upgrade.

So the answer is simple: stay with Xojo 2013r4.1

Yes, you are right Christophe.

Read Deprecations in Xojo 2014 Release 1.

But, why do I stay with Xojo 2013r4.1 while I have a plan that ends in 2014 (March 31st I think) ?

How old is Windows XP? It’s from 2001. That was the time of Mac OS 9.

Maybe an opportunity to get into Linux? Not really my bag but could be the answer to your ‘problem’

Give Ubuntu a whirl, nothing to lose…

I get it with a Fujitsu-Siemens laptop I buy while my iBook (laptop) was on repair. I never really use it excepted when my Mac laptop was on repair (happens some times in years).

I may have used it during a year on the 11 I own it…

[quote=62666:@Patrick Delaney]Maybe an opportunity to get into Linux? Not really my bag but could be the answer to your ‘problem’

Give Ubuntu a whirl, nothing to lose…[/quote]
Last time I tried to install a linux on VirtualBox, it was a nightmare (to install, then it was slow as hell).
The time before it was doom upon my head (!).

Thanks for your answers.

BTW: I wanted to add an information to the debate.

At last, I may have to buy a cheap portable PC if my current MacBook Pro have hardware failure (to have a computer while it is on repair); at that moment, I will have Windows 8.1… (or 2 or…) included.

Really…

I find linux very straightforward to install - that’s the easy part :wink: . It’s just a GUI installer really.

Don’t know when you last tried linux but give it a go could be the answer.

[quote=62691:@Patrick Delaney]Really…

I find linux very straightforward to install - that’s the easy part :wink: . It’s just a GUI installer really.

Don’t know when you last tried linux but give it a go could be the answer.[/quote]

Especially now that live disks are commonplace, Linux has never been so easy :slight_smile:

[quote=62658:@Emile Schwarz]

I read the blog entry named “Moving from Windows XP”. The entry let the reader believe other persons are reluctant to leave Windows XP. [/quote]
Mostly because MS is going to stop providing security updates

Not sure when Xojo 2014r1 will be released but my wild guess is somewhere in march.
So if you manage to have a license for Xojo 2014r1, I suggest using that version to code and use Xojo 2013r4.1 for compiling a release.