Moving from RB2007 to XOJO

Hi everybody. I had plans at one time to move a language learning program I had developed in RB2007 (but never released) to XOJO so that it could work on Iphones and Ipads as well as Windows PC so I am curious as to what what my learning curve might be coming from RB2007r3. I decided to wait because at the time XOJO first came out the IOS option was not ready in XOJO and my marketing contacts were screaming “you got no cloud, you got no viable product”… I’d like to possibly give Rosetta a run for their money in a couple of languages but undecided if I should be offering the online XOJO cloud access for monthly subscribers instead of the compiled apps and getting a one time sale ??? I work in a chemistry lab full time so I can’t be at this day and night unless some serious money started showing up in my bank account. At this point it is just a passionate part time hobby for me… thanks for any and all advice, opinions, etc from you guys (especially those that have been around since before I purchased my RB2007 back in the day and actually know how to make a profit at this business)…

Ah, 2007. An excellent year… At the time, I kept it for a couple years before getting a new license.

I can share only my story about going from RB to Xojo. Barcode Wizard was written in RB back in 2002 for PPC/Classic. 4.5 or so. I did very minor updates throughout the years, probably in 2007 last. Then I went through motions and did not touch it.

Then in 2013 to place it in the Mac App Store, I took the RB code, loaded it in 2013R something (maybe 3.1), and it generated a working Cocoa executable right away. The most I did was to add an HTMLViewer to read the online documentation, and updated the save picture to PNG instead of Pict.

That was pure Xojo code, of course. No Carbon declare. Today Barcode Wizard is happy in the MAS :slight_smile:

That app has always been both Mac and PC,so I can vouch to the remarkable cross platform abilities of RB and Xojo. Unless you have a lot of Mac declares, generating a Windows app is as simple as checking an option in Build settings. It does require some amount of tuning to make it a truly nice Windows app, making sure to avoid stacking controls to minimize flicker, or changing terminology to suit users.

I have not ported my apps to Xojo Web, but yet wrote several new applications for it to complement my existing web sites. I love being able to write in Xojo for the web. The language and controls are extremely close to Desktop, so it is not very difficult. Lately, I did move a lot of logic from Desktop RubberViews (see RubberViews.com), a class that resizes all controls when a window change size, so I could produce the same for the web. That was an interesting experience. I was able to cut and paste methods, and was amazed by the ease of use to make it work. The most difficult is that you have to redesign the UI, since controls cannot be moved from Desktop. Also, there are many differences between desktop and web controls that you have to learn. All in all, though, it was a good experience.

The monthly subscription seems to be the current breadwinner for big software companies like Adobe, Microsoft or Google. I have seriously considered moving one of my apps to that model. My main issue is not so much the engineering behind it, as the marketing. I am reasonably competent to sell fonts and desktop software over my web sites, Mac App Store and will hopefully soon place my first app in the Windows Store. But my sites have been around since the nineties, when competition was less fierce. Launching a new Web based service seems a tad daunting, with competition pouring millions in advertising. The best I could think was to try and move some of my desktop customers to that new model. But that would require very solid advantages. Besides, offering such a service with cloud storage and personal workspace can be a challenge.

That said, it never hurts to experiment.

iOS is a horse of a different color. It uses the new framework for everything, which for instance does not have String anymore. That plus the debug run in the simulator, compiled with minuscule screen space and different controls, make it quite an endeavour to port older code. So far I have ported only one of my OS X applications to it. Moving the logic was relatively easy.To minimize rewriting, I built a library of functions that wraps the new framework so older code can execute as is. You can find it here GitHub - Mitchboo/XojoiOSWrapper: Module that brings legacy and additional functions to Xojo iOS But that is the easiest part. Be prepared for a LOT of work on the UI. My best friend was the new framework LR at http://developer.xojo.com/home

o.k. thanks… guess I will upgrade to XOJO PRO and start slow and simple and see where I end up. thanks again !