Mouse Scroll Wheel

On Windows 7/64 the mouse scroll wheel requires an enormous amount of movement to scroll in the code editor. I noticed this in prior versions of RealStudio and seemed to have to go to the settings for the mouse to set some compatibility view, but is this normal? Mouse scroll wheel works perfect I all other applications.

Ideas?

Please create a case and send me the case number. Or find a case if it’s already in there.

Geoff,

I can’t get the feedback system working. first it wouldn’t install from the IDE so I downloaded it manually and installed (not sure why it is not installed with Xojo). Then I tried submitting a case but could not get the “Submit” button to enable after filling out the form. On the form there is smaller text area beneath the main area to explain the issue. The label for this text area which is just to the left is truncated on the top, making it completely unreadable. I have no idea what goes in that text area.

Anyway, here is the issue with the mouse:

This is a problem that dates back to RealStudio as well. There are some similar reports to this but none that are open.

The issue is that when scrolling the mouse the listbox in built applications, or in the case of IDE the code editor does not scroll unless the mouse wheel is turned an excessive amount. The mouse scroll in Xojo and built applications is inconsistent with other applications.

After researching this and looking into my mouse settings (Microsoft Wireless Mouse 2000 & Keyboard) there is a setting in the mouse software that allows the user to “identify programs that do not scroll correctly”. A click on that box and indeed Realstudio and Xojo are automatically included in the list, as well as my built applications. If I click those applications the wheel works properly. The text and help information provided with that dialog in the Mouse Settings reads:

Identify programs that don’t scroll correctly
If you are working in a program that doesn’t support scrolling for anything less than a full line at a time, scrolling won’t work correctly. It may scroll too quickly, barely scroll, or lurch forward while you are scrolling.
You can resolve this by selecting the program from a list that alerts Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center to modify the scrolling instructions for that program so that it sends only full lines of scrolling. If your program is not on the list, you can add it.
Select programs that don’t scroll correctly
Click Identify programs that don’t scroll correctly, and then select the program displayed on the list.
Add a program to the list
Scroll to the bottom of the list and click Manually add a program.
In the Add Program dialog, locate the program you want and click.
Note
Some programs do not support the scroll wheel.

The issue is that built applications also exhibit this behavior and as a result the user will have to go to the mouse settings and make an exception for application for use with their mouse.

I use 3 screens on this computer, if I set my main display to the middle one and use the IDE on the first monitor, scrolling is disabled. If I set it to my 3rd monitor, scrolling is disabled on monitors #1 & #2. i.e. it affects the monitors behind the default monitor, but not the ones in front.

This was a bug in prior versions making me switch back to default monitor 1 where scrolling would work on all displays.

Possibly related? Bug is still here in Xojo.

Luke, I don’t think your issue is related to mine but it could be. I think this is a 32 bit/64 bit issue, but I could be wrong. I think it is interesting that older applications, not only Xojo/RealStudio can have this issue and that there is a setting in the mouse software to correct the issue. I can easily fix this on my system to correct the issue in the IDE, but my users can’t for my built applications or at least won’t know how - the mouse scrolling will be reported as non-functional or at least quirky.

Joseph, can you provide some concrete measurements? I might agree the code editor is a line off, but in terms of the framework, listbox, mousewheel event, the delta checks out fine here. For example the listbox scrolls 3 lines, which is in-line with what Windows reports as the suggested delta, however when I scroll through my C: in the shell/explorer window it only scrolls 2 lines, a bit odd, but that is certainly slower than what we’re doing so I’m just curious to know what exactly you are measuring, thanks.

William, I am not sure how to provide measurements, short of a video that would show me scrolling the mouse while capturing the screen? However, my code editor is far more than one line off. I literally can rotate the mouse wheel slowly and it will not scroll the window at all. However if I speed up my scrolling the window will scroll several lines. It is only if I accelerate the scrolling will I get scrolling of the window and even then the amount is significantly inconsistent from other applications. For example in a web browser (IE) scrolling is very smooth and fluid and very precise. It is interesting the mouse software included a dialog to detect programs that do not scroll smoothly and that both my built apps and Xojo/RealStudio is included in that dialog. When checked those applications it will work better. I do not know what mechanism the software uses to correct this. My only concern is my built applications. This is the text that is included in that dialog: ( I wish I could attach a screen shot to the post, rather than linking something online )

Identify programs that don’t scroll correctly
If you are working in a program that doesn’t support scrolling for anything less than a full line at a time, scrolling won’t work correctly. It may scroll too quickly, barely scroll, or lurch forward while you are scrolling.
You can resolve this by selecting the program from a list that alerts Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center to modify the scrolling instructions for that program so that it sends only full lines of scrolling. If your program is not on the list, you can add it.
Select programs that don’t scroll correctly
Click Identify programs that don’t scroll correctly, and then select the program displayed on the list.
Add a program to the list
Scroll to the bottom of the list and click Manually add a program.
In the Add Program dialog, locate the program you want and click.
Note
Some programs do not support the scroll wheel.

I wonder if it’s specific to your mouse? If anyone else is seeing this, or not seeing this, it’d be nice to know. Seems like if everyone had this problem we’d be hearing about this more…

William,

I have done some additional research on this.

I have narrowed this down to smooth scrolling mice; Those which do not have a detent on the wheel (that minor clicking you feel when the mouse scroll wheel is turned). Apparently these type of mice send partial scrolling commands to the OS and programs that are not designed to use that, including Xojo among others, do not interpret these events properly. As a workaround the mouse driver, through the software can be configured to send only complete line scrolls to the specific applications that are incompatible.

Check your mouse, if it has the minor click when you scroll the wheel you will not be able to duplicate this issue. But if you pick up one that offers smooth scrolling then it will duplicate the issue.

The smooth scrolling mouse is very nice for use in a graphics environment (I also do 3D Modeling and CAD) and it is what most in that area prefer.

So the bottom line is that if the end user of a built app has a smooth scrolling mouse they will have an issue.

Interesting, thanks for that information, you are correct we’re not handling smooth scrolling mice correctly. I may need your help in testing :slight_smile:

William, let me know how I can help…

Joe

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487477.aspx

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/155717/Handling-Enhanced-Mouse-Wheels-in-your-Application

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/162/Getting-messages-from-the-IntelliMouse

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms645533.aspx

June 2014 and smooth scrolling mice still NOT FIXED in XOJO. Its frustrating to develop on an IDE that its not working fine.