Monitor size!?

I recently bought the new laptop and it works beautiful! However, it’s a 15,6" monitor and I believe the previous computer were 17" or so. It was larger.

Now, I’m looking for en external monitor as these are quite convinient.
I looked at a HDMI connected Samsung at 27 ".

What size do you use!?
I know, resolution also matters… but as the reference!?

Screen size in pixels: Full HD (1920 x 1080), so I can watch TV too…
Screen diagonal: 23"
Philips with HDMI and VGA (not sure for VGA, but there is a second entry)

Dell 27inch 2560xsomething. But using 2000something because the Xojo fonts can’t be adjusted. It’s not a Retina monitor but I can using fine for Retina testing.

2560 x 1440 on a 27" monitor is nice. The Dell U2715H can occasionally be found on sale for $550. I’ve had one since shortly after it was released and am very happy with it.

[quote=225448:@Jakob Krabbe]I recently bought the new laptop and it works beautiful! However, it’s a 15,6" monitor and I believe the previous computer were 17" or so. It was larger.

Now, I’m looking for en external monitor as these are quite convinient.
I looked at a HDMI connected Samsung at 27 ".

What size do you use!?
I know, resolution also matters… but as the reference!?[/quote]

Well what kind of laptop ?
I run 2 external monitors off my rMBP so I have

• built in 2880 x 1800
  • one 1920 x 1080
  • one 2560 x 1440

I use a single 27" 2560x1440 Monoprice Glass Panel Pro display. I got it for $300 last year on the MonoPrice Black Friday sale. I’ve been quite happy with it, but I don’t think they sell it any longer.

I used to have multiple displays, but turning my head between them was giving me major neck and back pain so I had to switch to a single display.

I use a 15" MacBook Pro with an Apple 27" Thunderbolt display, I love the connectivity options built into the display, but if I had to replace the TBD, I would buy a 30 odd inch 4K TV, that way I can also hook up my PS4 to the same screen and play games in the office, while the Wife watches her soaps on the TV downstairs.

First thing is check the max resolution the laptop CAN drive, and work down from there.
Most can usually do more than their built in screens, but that may not always be the case.

I currently have a MBP 13" running a 19" monitor

but who is getting the work done then? :smiley:

[quote=225484:@Dave S]First thing is check the max resolution the laptop CAN drive, and work down from there.
Most can usually do more than their built in screens, but that may not always be the case.

I currently have a MBP 13" running a 19" monitor[/quote]

Remember that the 15" has 2 GPU’s :stuck_out_tongue:
So you can drive a ton more than the 13" can with this set up

[quote=225489:@Norman Palardy]Remember that the 15" has 2 GPU’s :stuck_out_tongue:
So you can drive a ton more than the 13" can with this set up[/quote]

true… my point was don’t by a 60" monitor and then find out your laptops can’t drive it… do your research first

Thank you for the reply!
I have bought a Toshiba 15,6"" Laptop with 8 GB RAM, SSD drive and a seperate graphical … processor(??) It’s not the mother board.
The sticker says “AMD Radeon Graphics”.

Samsung 27" about 285 dollars.
http://www.elgiganten.se/product/datorer-tillbehor/bildskarm/SAMLS27E391HS/samsung-ls27e391hs-27-datorskarm-vit

It’s about half the price that the Dell. What’s the different, apart from the brand, colour and price!?

I use my computer för Xojo, simple web design, some limited photo editing related to Xojo.
I post oquestions in this forum as I look at Facebook and I use e-mail.
I don’t need and use ICC profiles or any other quality management system or any other calibrated quality system.
I use “safe web colours”, so to speak! :slight_smile:

The very bottom line of the code editor is stll very hard to read. If we could have that fontsize just a BI bigger ? Asking for long time already, a configuratie fontsize would help tot avoid RSI.

Do you realize that the Samsung is only 1920 x 1080? That’s quite different than 2560 x 1440 with the Dell.

I have an asus pb278
was a lot cheaper than the dell and very sharp and lots of adjustments

[quote=225552:@Norman Palardy]I have an asus pb278
was a lot cheaper than the dell and very sharp and lots of adjustments[/quote]
Both get good reviews. The Dell has two HDMI connections and three DisplayPort connections, two in and one out, versus one HDMI and one DisplayPort in the Asus. The Dell has six USB 3.0 ports, one in and five out, versus none in the Asus. The Asus has two speakers versus none in the Dell. Aesthetics are a bit different too. The Dell has a very thin bezel with soft touch buttons versus the more common thick bezel and buttons in the Asus. The Asus comes with more cables.

The connectivity and aesthetics of the Dell won me over. If they don’t matter to you then the Asus is the better buy. It’s nice to have choices.

Samsung, 24" S850. Not too big (27") not too small (21") it’s just right. It’s the mama bear of monitor sizes. My next monitor is going to be a 4K monitor though, looking at the Dell P2415Q, although I like 1.6 ratio monitors better than 1.77 monitors, which make me curse the day someone thought watching movies on a computer was more important than working.

[quote=225500:@Jakob Krabbe]Samsung 27" about 285 dollars.
http://www.elgiganten.se/product/datorer-tillbehor/bildskarm/SAMLS27E391HS/samsung-ls27e391hs-27-datorskarm-vit

It’s about half the price that the Dell. What’s the different, apart from the brand, colour and price!?[/quote]
Quality. You buy a cheap monitor, expect to buy another one not long after the warranty expires on the first one. At least that’s from my personally experience with Samsung products.

We’ve also got a graveyard of Samsungs… Scottsdale won’t recycle them because we’re a business.

Just saw this, this morning… http://bgr.com/2015/10/30/samsung-more-layoffs-2015/

The thing that pissed me off the most with Samsung, was that it would cost more for them to repair a 1-year old display, than to buy another one, it was only a week out of warranty and they just couldn’t care less. BTW, this is one of the reasons why I grew to loath Samsung.