Mojave to Catalina Update Questions (Crisis - HELP!)

Mojave to Catalina Update Questions (Crisis - HELP!)

I wrote a software app in 2015 for my wife’s computer using XOJO 2015 release 1.?? She now has a new Mac which has Catalina and the app no longer works.?? I know this is because the app is written in 32-bit and Catalina is 64-bit.??

My questions:

If I upgrade to the current version of XOJO on my Mac computer which is Mojave and save the build in 64-bit, will it work on my wife's Catalina Macbook as well as my Mojave Macbook?
The app that I wrote back in 2015 is very database intensive using SQLite version 3.7.14.1.?? Will this be a problem for the new version of XOJO??? How significant are the deprecations between 2015 version 1 and current version of XOJO and do they impact the database?

Any guidance you can provide would be very much appreciated!

download a copy and try it before you buy it and you can get a feel for how big a job this will be

in the last 5 years there have been man ydeprecations
some will be easy to deal with some more complex but its har to give general advice without knowing what features you used etc

sqlite should update pretty flawlessly

[quote=492686:@Jerry AB]The app that I wrote back in 2015 is very database intensive using SQLite version 3.7.14.1.?? Will this be a problem for the new version of XOJO??? How significant are the deprecations between 2015 version 1 and current version of XOJO and do they impact the database?

[/quote]
To just recompile in 64 bits don’t worry about deprecations only removals… deprecated still works … Check for removals here:
https://documentation.xojo.com/resources/deprecations.html

There is a good chance you won’t need to do much if anything just to get the app to work in 64 bits. If you want to future proof the code then you should deal with the deprecations.

-Karen

First of all thanks people for the replies.
Well I bit the bullet and bought xojo pro.

You can code in Mac Mojave and do a build for 64 bit and it will run in Mac Catalina.
I have not coded in xojo in over 5 years but it seems I am going to have to relearn again.
I tried one of my 2 old apps that need to be 64bit and got 8 errors. Just for the heck of it I commented out the errors and clicked
on the run button and it worked. That was a relief. Now I have to figure out how to correct the errors.
Below is part of the code I get errors in and I think it has to do with AbsolutePath (the 2 lines marked error–>)
Can anyone tell me what has to be done to fix this ?

[code]If backupDB.CreateDatabaseFile Then
PdbDB.BackUp(backupDB, Nil, -1)
//Send user a nessage
// Set width of message = “---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------”
if gDatabaseEncryption = True Then

error --> gTimerMessage = "Encrypted Database was backed up to: " + EndOfLine + backupFile.AbsolutePath
else
error–> gTimerMessage = "Decrypted Database was backed up to: " + EndOfLine + backupFile.AbsolutePath

end if
// Set the window hight and width
// Window height for 1 to 6 lines of text = [1 Line = 75] [2 Lines = 85] [3 Lines = 102] [4 Lines = 119] [5 Lines = 132] [6 Lines = 146]
MessageTimed.Height = 119
'MessageTimed.Width = 400 // Only set this if needed
// Timed Message window Title
MessageTimed.Title = “Information Message…”
// Show the message window
MessageTimed.ShowCentered(AddressBookWindow)
[/code]

That should be a pretty simple fix. You probably want nativepath instead of absolutepath.

Thanks Keven. Problem solved.

I am trying to update this app to work in 64bit from xojo 2015 r1. It works fine in the old xojo version.
Can anyone help me with this error ?
My app goes through the checks to open the app and gets to the command MainWindowPage.Show
then gives me this error:

An exception of class
MenuHasParentException was not handled.
The application must shut down.

I did just for the hell of it try to open another window (RegisterWindow.Show) in the app to see what happens and it did open.

Any help would be appreciated

You can’t assign a menuitem to more than one parent menu item now… There is however a clone method that you can use to create duplicates for each menu you want it on.

-Karen