Module Propery Type=Window

I have a window that does all the heavy lifting. Other windows set module properties and show the window. The window reads the properties and executes sql. I also use a module property Window (which_window) that is assigned to the window that called the heavy lifting window. When the heavy lifting window is done, it shows the window that had it do the work (which_window) and that works. But i also want to change the value of a control on the window is now shown. I can do that with something like frmMyBigFatWindow.lstItems.enabled=true. But it needs to be variable and which_window.lstItems.enabled=true does not work. is there a way to access controls on the window specified by my which_window property?

You certainly can reach in to a window from the outside like this, but I would recommend against it. which_window needs to be defined As MyWindowName not As Window and you will have access to the controls.

+1 @Tim_Parnell

Alternately, you can cast the window to the appropriate type if you have more than one kind of window to deal with.

if which_window IsA frmMyBigFatWindow then
   frmMyBigFatWindow(which_window).lstItems.enabled = true
elseif which_window IsA frmSomeOtherWindow then
   frmSomeOtherWindow(which_window).lstOtherList.enabled = true
end

I’m new to Xojo (but not to programming), your first solution As MyWindowName i don’t see that as an option in the property type? I only see Window. I’d rather go this route if possible, but your second solution would work although i will have 30+ windows talking to it. On a side note, i tried writing elseif
somewhere else in the code and it error out so i just figured Xojo didn’t support it lol.

Property type is a text field, you type it out. Auto Complete should suggest it after a few letters.

I’m running 2020r1 on Windows. I go into Module and make a new Property. I call it which_window and for type i type in my… there are 4 options in the auto-complete, all are MySQL related. If i type win… i get Window, Window.Locations and Windows.Type. Below type is Default and Scope. Am i in the right spot?

You’re in the right spot. You might have to just type the whole thing in if autocomplete isn’t working right.

That said, if you have a bunch of windows to deal with, you might want to look into a Class Interface. Each window can implement the interface and your property can be of type myInterface. Add a method to the interface like

EnableList()

Then you can call it directly as which_window.EnableList

You can give each window a unique implementation of the method.