Mobile use of Forum

For the last half hour I was trying to use the new forum mobile on iPad while I’m traveling in the train having nothing but a unstable mobile Internet connection using mostly Edge or 3G. Now I really miss the old mailing list and the offline capabilities of my eMail program.
Everything being terribly slow is one thing, but because of the ‘responsive’ design of the forum software it is always communicating using AJAX or you-name-it. If not all requests receive a response (which happens often using mobile Internet), all I get are ‘waiting’ and ‘failed’ popups marking the software almost impossible to use even if you just want to read conversations and catch-up.
I know there is no immediate solution possible for this fundamental problem of interactive web apps, but this usecase would be another good point for a close integration of an email interface to this forum.

I’m willing to guess that the vast majority of mobile users have a fast connection.

it will depend. I have a WiFi connection normally (but at public hotspots, the WiFi can be sluggish). Or 3G hotspot (which can be sluggish at time depending on where I am sitting).

Dont get me wrong, I like the forums better than I like email list(s).

I do think we need to get a few tweaks done to the new forums to make the complete awesome.

thanks
sb

Geoff… I have yet another optimization for the site that would make it load even faster is as follows…I have tested it on my own personal copy of esoTalk and if GZip is enabled…loading is much quicker…even moreso with APC enabled (but not required)

<?php if (substr_count($_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING'], 'gzip')) ob_start("ob_gzhandler"); else ob_start(); 
flush();
?>

CometChat may also be a nice investment of Xojo Inc to the site…many users of the developer’s spot website enjoy the chat feature because if they’re not a native english speaker, they can use one click to translate the entire page to their native tongue…share a whiteboard to collaborate… use video conferencing to interact… and there’s chatroom (public/private) capability for group interactions…and file-sharing between users…and its all javascript based sockets so there’s no server overhead…and administrators can create announcements that are instantly seen by all users, etc… and a professional license for the product is quite cheap in comparison for the features that are offered… there is also mobile chat for iphone/android (touch based phones) :slight_smile:

and it integrates into any website with 2 lines of code :slight_smile: (takes users into account etc)

features

http://www.cometchat.com/features/most-popular